I make this instant mango pickle from Andhra Pradesh called Mamidikaya Menthi Mukkalu (Menthi Baddalu) so many times but have never written about it. So when I made it the day before yesterday, I made it a point to take pictures and here I am today with this recipe.
In Andhra Pradesh, there are two predominant ways to pickle; using mustard seeds (Avalu) and using fenugreek seeds (Menthulu). For example, we make a raw mango pickle called Avakai where mustard seeds are the hero while in Magai, another raw mango pickle, it is fenugreek seeds that rule the roost. Similarly, in instant pickles, we make Mamidikaya Ava Baddalu with mustard and Mamidikaya Menthi Baddalu with fenugreek.
How to Make Mamidikaya Menthi Baddalu | Menthi Mukkalu | Andhra Mango Fenugreek Pickle
- If needed, wash the mangoes and wipe them dry with a soft cloth. Let the mangoes air dry for about 15 minutes.
- Without peeling them, chop the mangoes into 1/2″ pieces.
- In a small kadai, over medium heat, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds to the oil and wait till they crackle.
- Next, add the fenugreek seeds and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat.
- To the still hot oil, add the red chillies, salt, and asafoetida. Mix well.
- Let the whole spices cool a bit.
- Grind the the spices to a coarse powder.
- Add the ground powder to the mango pieces.
- Mix well.
- Let the Mamidikaya Menthi Mukkalu | Menthi Baddalu rest for about 30 minutes. This is an optional step that helps the mango pieces soften a bit and absorb the flavours of the spices.
- Serve this instant mango-fenugreek pickle as an accompaniment to Dal Rice.
Recipe for Mamidikaya Menthi Baddalu | Menthi Mukkalu
Mamidikaya Menthi Baddalu | Menthi Mukkalu | Andhra Mango Fenugreek Pickle
- 2 Firm, Raw Mangoes, Mamidikayalu (~200 gms)
- 1.5 tbsp Avalu, Rai, Mustard Seeds
- 0.75 tbsp Menthulu, Methi Dana, Fenugreek Seeds
- 6 to 8 Red Chillies
- 1/2 tsp Inguva, Hing, Asafoetida
- 3 tbsp Oil (Unrefined Sesame Oil Preferred)
- Salt to Taste
- Cut the mangoes into small pieces.
- Heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the fenugreek seeds and fry till they change colour.
- Take the tempering off the heat.
- Add red chillies, salt, and asafoetida. Mix well.
- Grind the tempering to a coarse powder.
- Add the masala to the mango pieces and mix well.
- Let the Mamidikaya Menthi Mukkalu | Menthi Baddalu rest for about 30 minutes.
- Serve as an accompaniment to Mudda Pappu Annam (Dal Rice).