This is a dry bhaji with fresh Methi or fenugreek leaves that is a great favourite with me. I love its mildly bitter taste and make it often to have with chapatis.
- Fresh Menthi Koora/Methi/Fenugreek Leaves – 3 Packed Cups
- Besan/Gram Flour – 4 Tbsp
- Green Chillies – 3 or 4
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Grated Jaggery or Sugar – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to Taste
- In a heavy-bottomed kadhai or wok, roast the besan till it just starts to turn light brown.
- Remove from the kadhai or wok and set aside to cool.
- Sieve the roasted besan to get rid of the lumps.
- In a heavy-bottomed kadhai or wok, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the slit green chillies and fry for a minute.
- Add turmeric and fry for 1 minute.
- Turn the heat to low.
- Add the methi leaves and salt.
- Mix well.
- Let the leaves cook over medium heat till the leaves cook and reduce.
- Add the turmeric and sugar/jaggery.
- Mix well.
- Add the roasted besan and mix well.
- Cook over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes while mixing continuously.
- Serve hot with rotis or rice.
- Try not to omit the sugar or jaggery as it enhances the taste of the methi.
- You could also add red chilli powder in step 12, if you need this bhaji to be more spicy.
- Menthi Koora Pappa (Methi Dal/Lentils with Fresh Fenugreek) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Methi Pulao (adigebhatta.wordpress.com)
- Aloo Methi pulav (Fenugreek and potato rice) with capsicum raita / capsicum yogurt (veggieekitchen.wordpress.com)
- Menthi Koora Patholi (Dry Curry with Bengal Gram and Fenugreek Leaves) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Methi ke pakode (Fenugreek Dumplings) (deeptimasand.wordpress.com)
- Methi ke parathe(Fenugreek Flatbreads) (deeptimasand.wordpress.com)
Leave a Reply