Peas Potato Kurma is such a favourite in parts of India that lie to the South of the Vindhyas. Also Known as Alu Mutter Korma, it is essentially peas and potato cooked in a mild gravy of coconut, poppy seeds, cashew, and fennel.
What I like about this kurma is that it is rich is flavours and texture but relatively light on the stomach.
How to Make Peas Potato Kurma | Alu Mutter Korma
Time: 45 Minutes
- Peas – 1.25 Cup
- Potato – 1 Large
- Onion – 1 Large
- Cashews – 10 to 12
- Poppy Seeds or Khus Khus – 1 tbsp
- Fresh Grated Coconut – 1/3 Cup
- Fennel Seeds or Saunf – 1 tsp
- Cloves – 4
- Cinnamon – 1″ Piece
- Bay Leaves – 2
- Kashmiri or Byadagi/Bedgi Chillies – 3
Deghi Mirch Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/8 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt to Taste
Method to Make the Kurma Paste
- In about 1/3 cup hot water, soak the poppy seeds, cashews, and kashmiri mirch for at least 15 minutes.
- Dry roast the fennel seeds till they give off a pleasant aroma. Set aside.
- Grind the soaked poppy seeds, cashews, and kashmiri mirch to a smooth paste.
- Add the grated coconut and fennel seeds.
- Add a little water, if required.
- Grind to a smooth paste.
- Set aside.
Method to Make the Kurma
- Boil some water with salt.
- Peel and cut the potato into 1/2″ cubes.
- Add the potato cubes to the boiling water.
- Cook covered for 5 to 7 minutes till the potato pieces are cooked. A knife should just cut through the pieces.
- Drain the hot water and wash in cold running water. Set aside.
- Peel and chop the onion.
- Heat the oil.
- Add the cloves, cinnamon, and bay leaves.
- Stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Add the onion pieces and stir-fry till they turn transparent.
- Add the Kurma paste and turmeric.
- Stir-fry for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the potato pieces, peas, and salt.
- Add 2/3 cup water.
- Simmer till the peas just start to soften.
- Turn off the heat.
- Let the Peas Potato Kurma | Alu Mutter Korma rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with rotis.
- You could also add some coriander powder along with the kurma paste in step 11. However, i did not find it necessary.
- Peas do not need much time to cook so watch the kurma after you have added the peas.
- Be sure to soak the poppy seeds properly and then grind them to a smooth paste; otherwise you will have a grainy Alu Mutter Korma.