Rice Sevai is so very light on the stomach and a great way to start a day when had as breakfast. It also makes for a great evening snack.
This recipe uses readymade sevai as that is what I use to make breakfast. However, there are days when I make the sevai from scratch, but that is material for another blog entry. 🙂
- Rice Sevai – 100 gms
- Finely Chopped Carrot – 1/4 Cup
- Peas – 1/4 Cup
- Onion – 1 Small (optional)
- Fresh Grated Coconut – 3 tbsp
- Red Chillies – 3
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Udad Dal – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – A Few
- Water – 1 Litre
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Boil 1 litre of water with 1 tbsp of oil and the salt.
- When the water boils, turn off the heat.
- Add the rice sevai and cover.
- After 5 to 7 minutes, empty the sevai into a colander to drain the water.
- Set the sevai aside in the colander for about 1 hour so that all the water drains out.
- Chop the onion finely.
- In a wok/kadai, heat the remaining oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the udad dal and fry till they are golden brown.
- Add the split red chillies and curry leaves.
- Fry for a few seconds.
- Add the onion pieces and fry till the onion just turns transparent.
- Add the carrot pieces and peas.
- Add just enough water to cover the vegetables.
- Cover and let cook for about 5-7 minutes till the vegetables are cooked.
- Let the water evaporate.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the rice sevai and mix well.
- Add the grated coconut and mix well.
- Serve warm with coconut chutney.