Shahi Dhingri Mutter is a Mushroom and Peas Curry in a rich yogurt and cashew-based gravy that is absolutely delicious with rotis or then just by itself. 🙂 I had not had mushrooms in ages and when I spotted some fresh ones in the market, I could not but help buy them. I also had some Khoya or Mava at home and so decided to try this recipe from Sanjeev Kapoor.
How to Make Shahi Dhingri Mutter | Mushroom and Peas Curry
Recipe Source: Sanjeev Kapoor’s Shahi Dhingri Mutter Paneer
Time: 45 Minutes
- Button Mushrooms – 10
- Peas – 1 Cup
- Onion – 3 Large
- Yogurt – 3/4 Cup
- Mava or Khoya (Dried Whole Milk Solids) – 1/4 Cup
- Red Chilli Powder – 1.5 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/3 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cashew – 10
- Cloves – 4
- Cinnamon – 1/2″ quill
- Pepper – 8
- Green Cardamom – 3
- Black Cardamom – 1
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt to Taste
- If you are using fresh peas, parboil them till soft. If you are using frozen peas, omit this step.
- Peel and slice the onion.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil.
- Add the onion slices and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Stir-fry till the onion is brown.
- Set aside to cool.
- Grind the fried onion into a smooth paste.
- Grind the cashews with about 2 tbsp water into a smooth paste.
- Cut the mushrooms in half.
- Beat the yogurt to a smooth paste.
- Crush the green and black cardamom roughly.
- In a wok or kadai, heat the ghee.
- Add the crushed cardamom, cloves, pepper, cinnamon, and bay leaf.
- Stir-fry till the cloves start to pop.
- Add the mushrooms and stir-fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the boiled or frozen peas and stir-fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the mava and stir-fry for a minute.
- Add the onion paste, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and turmeric.
- Stir-fry for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the cashew paste and stir-fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the beaten yogurt and mix well.
- Add the garam masala and mix well.
- Add salt and water, if required. Do not add too much water as the gravy has to be thick.
- Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve Shahi Dhingri Mutter hot with rotis.
- Frozen peas cook much faster than fresh peas, so you need not boil them.
- I always put then cut mushroom pieces in water till I am ready to use them; otherwise they tend to turn black.
Leave a Reply