It has been a while since I posted a recipe with Brinjal. That is quite an achievement given how much I like this vegetable. To remedy this situation, yesterday I made Kalchina Vankaya Kothimira Pachadi or Andhra Style Roasted Brinjal and Coriander Chutney.
Normally when I have the large brinjal, I make Vankaya Pachi Pulusu or Vankaya Perugu Pachadi. Yesterday, however, I wanted something spicy and easy to make and so I made this Vankaya Kothimira Pachadi.
In Andhra, we normally eat this pachadi with rice, but it tastes great with Idli and Dosa as well.
How To Make Kalchina Vankaya Kothimira Pachadi or Andhra Style Roasted Brinjal and Coriander Chutney
Kalchina Vankaya Kothimira Pachadi - Andhra Style Roasted Brinjal and Coriander Chutney
- Large Brinjals or Bharta Baingan - 1 Large After Roasting you should get a of of pulp
- Leaves Fresh Coriander - 2/3 Packed Cup
- Green Chillies - 3 or 4
- tsp Tamarind Paste - 1
- Turmeric - A Large Pinch
- Red Chilli - 1
- Salt to Taste
- tsp Udad Dal or Minapappu - 1/2
- tsp Rai or Avalu - 1/2
- tsp Oil - 1
- Wash and dry the brinjal.
- Coat the entire surface with a few drops of oil.
- Over low to medium flame, roast the brinjal till the skin is completely charred. Rotate at regular intervals.
- Let the brinjal cool.
- Peel and mash the brinjal.
- Grind the mashed brinjal, coriander, tamarind paste, turmeric, and green chillies to a smooth paste.
- Add salt and mix well.
- In a ladle, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the udad dal and fry till golden brown.
- Add the split red chilli and mix.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the tempering to the Vankaya Kothimira Pachadi.
Leave a Reply