The word Gongura has become synonymous with people from Andhra. Gongura Pachadi is almost the first dish people mention when they know you are from Andhra, but few have heard of Gongura Pappu.
Gongura Pappu (Dal with Gongura/Ambada/Sorrel) is one of my alltime favourites; indeed, there are few Andhras who don’t like Gongura Pappu. I absolutely love the tangy taste of fresh and tender Gongura leaves and lose no opportunity to make Pappu, Pachadi or Pulihora with Gongura.
Today is my father’s birthday and this is one of his favourite dishes. I dedicate this recipe to him.
- Gongura Leaves – 1/2 Bunch (3 Cups of tightly packed leaves)
- Tuvar Dal/Kandi Pappu – 1 Cup
- Red Chillies – 3 or 4
- Garlic Flakes (optional) – 4 or 5
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds/Rai – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – a couple of pinches
- Salt to taste
- Asafoetida/Hing – a pinch
- Pick Gongura leaves off the stem.
- Wash them and cut into small pieces.
- Place the cut leaves in a steel vessel and add just enough water to cover the leaves.
- In another steel vessel, place the tuvar dal and add 2 Cups of water.
- Place both vessels in a pressure cooker and cook till the dal is done. (About 4 whistles)
- Mash the cooked dal with a heavy ladle.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, heat the ghee.
- When the ghee melts, add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds sputter, add the garlic flakes.
- Fry till the garlic flakes are golden brown.
- Add the split red chillies and fry for about 10 secs.
- Add asafoetida/hing and turmeric.
- Add the cooked gongura leaves.
- Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the mashed dal and salt.
- Mix well.
- Add more water, if needed.
- Let it come to a quick boil.
- Serve with hot rice and ghee.
- Cook gongura and dal separately because sometimes te gongura is very khatta/tangy and this prevents the dal from cooking fast/properly.
- Mammidikaya Pappu (Dal with Raw Mango) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Gongura Pachadi (aahaaramonline.com)
- Andhra inspired – Gongura Pappu Chaaru (thepiquantepicure.wordpress.com)
- Gongura(Mesta) Chutney (tastyandhealthyrecipes.wordpress.com)
- Andhra Special – Gongura Chicken Curry (thepiquantepicure.wordpress.com)