Kobbari Pachadi or Coconut Chutney is by far one of my favourite pachadis. We make it very often at home to have with hot rice and ghee.
I was reminded of this recipe when I had this pachadi at a resort where I am staying in Kerala. Yes, I am on vacation and yet blogging! As Vinita of Vini Cooks Veg mentions in one of her posts, blogging is addictive!
Anyway, as the others snooze in the cosy confines of our floating cottage on Lake Ashtamudi, dreaming of houseboat rides, I blog.
- Fresh Coconut – 1/2
- Minapappu, Udad Dal, or Husked Black Gram – 3 tbsp
- Tamarind – 1″ piece
- Red Chillies – 3
- Turmeric – 1/8 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp + 1/2 tsp
- Salt to Taste
- Remove the coconut from the shell and cut it into 1″ pieces.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil.
- Add the udad dal and fry till golden brown.
- Turn off the heat.
- Break and add the red chillies.
- Grind the coconut, fried udad dal, red chillies, turmeric, and tamarind with about 1/8 cup of water into a coarse paste.
- Add salt and mix well.
- In a ladle, heat 1/2 tsp oil.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the tempering to the pachadi.
- Mix well.
- Serve with hot rice and ghee.