What I love about the Allam Pachadi is the blend of tastes; the spicy taste of ginger, the heat of the chillies and the sweetness of the jaggery. The combination makes for an absolutely delicious pachadi.
I had first posted this recipe in May 2012 and am updating it now with better pics and a recipe card. 🙂
Recipe for Allam Pachadi | Andhra Ginger Chutney
In Andhra, Allam Pachadi is a favoured accompaniment to idli and dosa. When it comes to Pesarattu, we cannot even think of any other pachadi as accompaniment. 🙂
Do try this sweet, spicy, hot ginger chutney.
- 20 gms Ginger, peeled and chopped
- 20 gms Udad Dal (~2 tbsp)
- 20-30 gms Jaggery (~2-3 tbsp)
- 2-3 Red Chillies
- 1 Pinch Turmeric
- 2 tsp Oil
- Salt to Taste
Heat the oil.
Add the udad dal and fry till golden brown.
Add the ginger, turmeric, and red chillies.
Stir-fry for 1 minute.
Turn off the heat, and add turmeric and salt.
Let the ingredients cool a bit.
Grind the fried mix with jaggery, and a little water to a coarse paste.
How to Make Allam Pachadi (Andhra Ginger Chutney)
- In a kadai/wok, heat 2 tsp of oil.
- Add the udad dal and fry till golden brown.
- Add the red chillies and chopped ginger.
- Fry till the ginger is aromatic (takes about 1 minute).
- Turn off the heat and add salt and turmeric.
- Let the mix cool.
- Grind the fried mix, jaggery, and a little water to the chutney grinder.
- Grind to a coarse paste.
- Serve Allam Pachadi with Pesarattu, Pesarattu Paddu, Medu Vada | Minapa Garelu, or with idli or dosa.