There are essentially two ways I use Dondakaya or Ivy Gourd in my cooking; as Dondakaya Kura or as Tondli Bhaat. While I had seen recipes for Dondakaya Pachadi, none excited me enough to try them till my cousin, Satya Rapaka, shared her recipe.
Given how popular this pachadi has become in my home in just one try, I cannot wait to try other variations of it, and indeed other recipes that Satya will be sharing with me. 🙂
If you like chutneys or pachadis, here is a collection of pachadi recipes that you can explore.
Recipe for Andhra Dondakaya Pachadi | Kovakkai Thogayal | Tindora Chutney
Dondakaya Pachadi | Kovakkai Thogayal | Tindora Chutney
- 100 gms Dondakaya, Tindora, Kovakkai, Ivy Gourd
- 25 gms Peanuts
- 3-4 Cloves Garlic (Optional)
- 4-5 Green Chillies
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1/4" Ball Tamarind
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- Salt to Taste
- Wash and dry the dondakaya. Cut into thin, long, pieces.
- Peel the garlic cloves and chop into small pieces.
- In a heavy bottomed kadai, heat 1 tsp oil.
- Add garlic and stir-fry till light brown.
- Add green chillies and peanuts, and fry till the peanuts start to pop.
- Remove into a plate.
- Heat 1 tsp oil, and add the dondakaya pieces and some salt.
- Stir-fry till the pieces soften.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add turmeric, tamarind, and the fried green chillies, peanuts and garlic. Mix well.
- Let the mix cool.
- Using a little water, grind to a coarse paste.
- Serve with hot rice and ghee.