I have been craving spicy food as you must have seen by my posts on Green Chilli Pickle and Bharli Mirchi or Stuffed Green Chillies. Both these recipes are popular in Maharashtra. Keeping with the theme of spicy Maharashtrian food, here is another fiery treat. This time it is a snack called Bhadang that uses red chilli powder. On the plus side, it is supremely low calorie. 🙂
Bhadang is a spicy snack made with with Kurmura, Murmura or Puffed Rice. In addition, it has peanuts, and dried coconut or kopra, and is spiced with red chilli powder (obviously) and a Maharashtrian spice powder called Metkut (I will add the recipe soon). Even if you don’t have Metkut, this snack tastes wonderful. It also has a bit of sugar but that only serves to heighten the teekka taste. 🙂
What I love about Bhadang is its capacity to satisfy that urge for “teekha” khana while being healthy because it is essentially only Kurmura.
If you want the red colour but not the spiciness use Deghi Mirch Powder or Kashmiri Chilli Powder.
How to Make Kolhapuri Bhadang
Bhadang - A Spicy Snack from Maharashtra
- 200 Gms Kurmura, Murmura or Puffed Rice
- 2/3 Cup Peanuts
- 4 or 5 Large Garlic Cloves (Optional; I did not use any)
- 1/4 Cup Dried Coconut or Kopra Slices
- 1 Handful Fresh Curry Leaves
- 2 or 3 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 3 tsp Metkut Optional
- 2 Large Pinches Hing or Asafoetida
- 1 tsp Powdered Sugar
- 3 tbsp Oil
- Salt to Taste
- Peel and slice the garlic cloves to thin slices.
- Tear the curry leaves into small pieces.
- In a large kadai or wok, heat the oil.
- Turn the heat to low-medium.
- Add the peanuts and stir-fry till they start to change colour.
- Add the dried coconut slices or kopra, and stir-fry for a few seconds.
- If you are using garlic, add the garlic slices and stir-fry till they start to change colour.
- Add the curry leaves and stir-fry for a 3-5 seconds.
- Add the asafoetida, red chilli powder, and turmeric.
- Mix well.
- Add the kurmura and mix well.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the Metkut and Sugar Powder.
- Mix well.
- Store in an air-tight container.