In Andhra Pradesh, we make many different kinds of dishes with Rice Rava. For example, Uppu Pindi or Uppudu Pindi, Chintapandu Rava Pulihora, and Nimmakaya Rava Pulihora.
On Saturday, I made Biyyam Rava Challa Upma or Majjiga Upma. This is a upma made with rice rava and buttermilk, and has a slightly sour taste and a rich texture from the buttermilk in which it is cooked. This Biyyapurava Majjiga Upma is quick to make and can be a nice one dish meal or then a quick tiffin or snack as the occasion demands. It is also different from the regular upma and makes a nice change.
I have discovered that cooking with buttermilk as the main medium lends a very unique taste to dishes. I have also made Moong Palak Khichdi with Buttermilk and Balaae (A Khichdi from Himachal Pradesh that uses Kala Chana and Buttermilk)
Also try Arisi Upma from Tamil Nadu.
How to Make Biyyam Rava Challa Upma | Majjiga Upma
- 2 Cups Rice, Biyyam, or Chawal
- 2 Cups Yogurt, Perugu, or Dahi
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 tsp Husked Black Gram, Minapappu, or Udad Dal
- 1 tsp Husked Bengal Gram, Senaga Pappu, or Chana Dal
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds, Avalu, or Rai
- 3 Red Chillies, Endu Mirapakaya, Lal Mirch
- 8 to 12 Curry Leaves, Karivepaku, or Kadi Patta
- 2 Large Pinches Asafoetida, Inguva, or Hing
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Salt to Taste
- Whisk the yogurt till it is smooth.
- Add 2 cups water and whisk well.
- Set aside.
- Grind the rice to a coarse powder.
- Add the rice rava and 1/2 tsp salt to the buttermilk.
- Mix well.
- Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a kadai.
- Add the avalu (mustard seeds) and wait till they splutter.
- Add udad dal and chana dal.
- Stir-fry the dals till light brown.
- Turn the heat to low.
- Add the split red chillies and curry leaves.
- Stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Add the asafoetida.
- Add 1/4 cup water.
- Wait for 1 minute.
- Mix the buttermilk-rice rava mix.
- Mix well.
- Increase the heat to low-medium.
- Cover the kadai and let the Biyyam Rava Upma cook.
- After 3 to 4 minutes, mix well.
- Cover and cook again.
- Check again and mix after 3 to 4 minutes.
- Cook till the rice rava is cooked and the buttermilk is absorbed.
- Add 1/2 tsp oil mix well.
- Cover and set aside for 5 minutes.
I used Majjiga Mirapakayalu in the seasoning along with red chillies. 🙂