In Andhra Pradesh, we make many different kinds of dishes with Rice Rava. For example:
- Uppu Pindi or Uppudu Pindi
- Chintapandu Rava Pulihora
- Nimmakaya Rava Pulihora
On Saturday, I made Biyyam Rava Challa Upma or Majjiga Upma. This is a upma made with rice rava and buttermilk, and has a slightly sour taste and a rich texture from the buttermilk in which it is cooked. This Biyyapurava Majjiga Upma is quick to make and can be a nice one dish meal or then a quick tiffin or snack as the occasion demands. It is also different from the regular upma and makes a nice change.
I have discovered that cooking with buttermilk as the main medium lends a very unique taste to dishes. I have also made:
- Moong Palak Khichdi with Buttermilk
- Balaae (A Khichdi from Himachal Pradesh that uses Kala Chana and Buttermilk)
Also try Arisi Upma from Tamil Nadu.
How to Make Biyyam Rava Challa Upma | Majjiga Upma
Biyyam Rava Challa Upma | Majjiga Upma | Rice Rava and Buttermilk Upma
- 2 Cups Rice, Biyyam, or Chawal
- 2 Cups Yogurt, Perugu, or Dahi
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 tsp Husked Black Gram, Minapappu, or Udad Dal
- 1 tsp Husked Bengal Gram, Senaga Pappu, or Chana Dal
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds, Avalu, or Rai
- 3 Red Chillies, Endu Mirapakaya, Lal Mirch
- 8 to 12 Curry Leaves, Karivepaku, or Kadi Patta
- 2 Large Pinches Asafoetida, Inguva, or Hing
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Salt to Taste
- Whisk the yogurt till it is smooth.
- Add 2 cups water and whisk well.
- Set aside.
- Grind the rice to a coarse powder.
- Add the rice rava and 1/2 tsp salt to the buttermilk.
- Mix well.
- Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a kadai.
- Add the avalu (mustard seeds) and wait till they splutter.
- Add udad dal and chana dal.
- Stir-fry the dals till light brown.
- Turn the heat to low.
- Add the split red chillies and curry leaves.
- Stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Add the asafoetida.
- Add 1/4 cup water.
- Wait for 1 minute.
- Mix the buttermilk-rice rava mix.
- Mix well.
- Increase the heat to low-medium.
- Cover the kadai and let the Biyyam Rava Upma cook.
- After 3 to 4 minutes, mix well.
- Cover and cook again.
- Check again and mix after 3 to 4 minutes.
- Cook till the rice rava is cooked and the buttermilk is absorbed.
- Add 1/2 tsp oil mix well.
- Cover and set aside for 5 minutes.