As I looked through the recipes I have written about, I see that I have a lot that feature brinjal (aka aubergine or eggplant). My family loves brinjals of all shapes and sizes. Given that the biryani-pulao roundup I did a few days ago was well-received, I thought I would do one that features brinjals.
This post features only those recipes which use baby brinjals or gutti vankaya as call them in Telugu.
So here goes:
- Dahiwale Achari Baingan was new for me as well and I was bowled over by the combination of spices and the spicy taste.
- Vankaya Kothimeera Kharam uses a simple masala made from coriander, green chillies, and ginger to spice up some fried baby brinjals.
- Vankaya Vepudu or Brinjal Stir Fry is one of the simplest dishes you can make with brinjals of any shape or size.
- Gutti Vankaya Koora. This is a famous Andhra recipe where baby brinjals are stuffed with a special spice powder known as menthi podi that has fenugreek as the main flavour.
- Gutti Vankaya Ulli Kharam is another popular stuffed brinjal recipe from Andhra Pradesh that uses a spicy onion-chilli masala.
- Bharli Vangi is a famous recipe from Maharashtra that has baby brinjals cooked with a flavorful peanut-sesame-coconut masala.
I do hope you try some of the recipes. I will post another roundup of recipes that involve other kinds of brinjals soon!