- Cabbage/Gobi – 1/2 Kg
- Mustard Seeds – 1.5 tsp
- Raw Rice – 1 tbsp
- Udad Dal/Husked Black Gram – 1 tsp
- Red Chillies – 1
- Green Chillies – 2 or 3
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Curry Leaves – A Few
- Salt to Taste
To make ava/mustard paste
- Soak 1 tsp mustard seeds and the rice in just enough water to cover them for about 1 hour.
- Grind the soaked rice and mustard seeds along with one red chilli and the water they were soaked in.
To make koora
- Finely chop the cabbage.
- In a kadai/wok, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the udad dal and fry till golden brown.
- Add the slit green chillies and curry leaves.
- Fry for 3-5 seconds.
- Add the cabbage.
- Sprinkle about 1/2 a cup of water.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook over medium heat till the cabbage is cooked.
- Stir at regular intervals and sprinkle more water, if required.
- When the cabbage is cooked, add the salt and mix well.
- Add the mustard paste and mix well.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Serve with rice or chapatis.
- The cabbage is cooked when it gets a translucent look.
- Sprinkle more water if you feel the need.
- Do not add too much water as then you will have a mushy koora. 🙁
- Cabbage Koora (Cabbage Curry/Patta Gobi Bhaji) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Aratikaya Ava Pettina Koora (Raw Banana Curry with Mustard) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Thotakura Ava Pettina Pulusu (Stew with Amaranth Leaves and Mustard Paste) (aahaaramonline.com)