French Beans Poriyal (also called French Beans Thoran) is a simple dish with French beans that I often eat as a salad by itself. The very essence of Beans Poriyal is its simplicity. So, I don’t think it would behoove me to wax eloquent and spoil the its simplicity. So here goes!
You can also try French Beans Carrot Poriyal | French Beans Carrot Thoran
How to Make French Beans Poriyal | French Beans Thoran
Time: 30 minutes
- French Beans – 300 gms
- Grated Coconut – 4 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Udad Dal/Husked Black Gram – 1 tbsp
- Red Chillies – 3
- Curry Leaves – 6 to 8
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt to Taste
Method to Make French Beans Poriyal | French Beans Thoran
- Chop the ends off the French Beans and cut them into 1/4″ pieces.
- Boil 1 litre water with 1 tsp salt.
- Add the chopped French Beans.
- Cook covered for 7 to 10 minutes, or till the beans are cooked.
- Using a colander, drain the water completely from the beans.
- In a wok or kadhai, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the udad dal and fry till golden brown.
- Add the split red chillies and curry leaves.
- Fry for about 30 seconds.
- Add the French Beans and mix well.
- Stir-fry for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the grated coconut and mix well.
- Serve the beans poriyal with hot rice and sambhar.