Summer heat always makes me want to eat light food. In such a season, poriyal (as it is called in Tamil Nadu) or thoran (as it is called in Kerala) is what I want to eat. Poriyal or Thoran essentially consists of steamed vegetables garnished with grated coconut.
Among other vegetables, you can make this dish with Cabbage, Raw Banana, French Beans, or Beetroot.
While I make French Beans Poriyal often, I occasionally add carrots to it. The sweetness of the carrot adds another dimension to this simple curry.
How to Make French Beans Carrot Poriyal | French Beans Carrot Thoran
Time: 45 Minutes
- French Beans – 200 gms
- Carrot – 1 Large
- Grated Fresh Coconut – 1/4 Cup
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Udad Dal – 2 tsp
- Red Chillies – 2
- Curry Leaves – 4 to 6
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Water – 1/3 Cup
- Salt to Taste
Method to Make Beans Carrot Poriyal | French Beans Carrot Thoran
- Chop the ends off the French beans.
- Cut the beans into 1/2″ pieces.
- Peel and chop the carrots into 1/2″ cubes.
- In a wok or kadhai, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the udad dal and fry till it is golden brown.
- Add the curry leaves and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the carrot pieces and stir-fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the beans and mix well.
- Add 1/3 cup of water and cover the kadhai with a plate.
- Add some water to the top of the plate. This helps the vegetables cook faster.
- Stir occasionally and cook covered till the beans and carrot pieces are tender.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Add grated coconut and mix well.
- Serve the Beans Carrot Thoran warm with sambar rice or curd rice.
- Try to use coconut oil for tempering to another flavour to this mild dish.
- I often eat Beans Carrot Thoran as a salad.
Leave a Reply