Winter is the time when we get fresh turmeric root and mango ginger aplenty. Winter is also the time for immunity boosters and one such remedy is the super simple Fresh Turmeric Root and Mango Ginger Pickle in Lemon Juice.
Mango Ginger (for the want of a better name) is a type of ginger with the distinct flavour of unripe mango ad is called Mammidi Allam in Telugu and Manga Inji in Tamil. It is also what just the doctor ordered especially in winter as it relieves cold and cough, and is an expectorant as well. In addition, it functions as an anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory agent. So what more can you ask for.
Turmeric and its magical curative properties need little introduction so I will not delve into them. 🙂
This Fresh Turmeric Root and Mango Ginger Pickle in Lemon Juice needs about just 20 minutes of your time and about 2 days to pickle properly. Refrigerated, this pickle lasts for a few months and so it can be savoured well beyond the winter months.
You can read more about the medicinal properties of Mango Ginger on the Krishi Jagran website. To experience its deliciousness, you have to make this pickle and taste it. 🙂
You can make a similar Mango Ginger slices pickled in Lemon Juice with just the mango ginger and we call this Mammidi Allam Mukkalu in Telugu
Recipe for Fresh Turmeric Root and Mango Ginger Pickle in Lemon Juice
Fresh Turmeric Root and Mango Ginger Pickle in Lemon Juice
- 150 gms Fresh Mango Ginger
- 150 gms Fresh Turmeric Root
- 1/3 Cup Lemon Juice (~5 Large Lemons)
- 4-5 Green Chillies (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Clean, dry, air-tight glass bottle
- Using a few drops of oil, grease your palms. This prevents the turmeric root from staining your palms.
- Peel and chop the turmeric into thin slices. You can also julienne them.
- Peel and chop the mango ginger into thin slices. You can also julienne them.
- Cut the green chillies into 1/2″ pieces.
- Add the mango ginger slices, turmeric root slices, green chillies, lemon juice and salt to a clean, dry, glass bottle.
- Use a spoon and mix well.
- Close the bottle and let the pickle rest for 2 days.
- Enjoy with hot steamed rice topped with a little sesame oil, or then as a side to curd rice.
- I like to add green chilli bits to this pickle but that is optional.
- Add enough lemon juice to cover the ginger and turmeric pieces.