Navratri means Sundals galore. We are offered Sundal in almost all homes and temples we visit. I have written about many different Sundal recipes over the past few years and have been scratching my head about what new recipe to post. Then I realised that Kadalai Paruppu Sundal was missing from my repertoire and so here I am with this simple recipe.
This recipe is a high-protein, low calorie recipe and so makes for an excellent diet salad too. I often make it just as a snack.
In Andhra this recipe is called Senaga Pappu Kobbari Kura and is eaten with steamed rice topped with ghee. So you know what to do with extra Kadalai Paruppu Sundal. 🙂
How to Make Kadalai Paruppu Sundal
Soaking Time: 2 hours
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
- Chana Dal, Kadalai Paruppu – 1 Cup
- Grated Coconut – 1/3 Cup
- Udad Dal, Split Husked Black Gram – 1 tsp
- Rai, Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chillies – 2 or 3
- Asafoetida – 2 Large Pinches
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – A Few
- Salt to Taste
- Wash the chana dal under running water till the water runs clear.
- Soak the chana dal in 3 cups water for 2 hours.
- Boil the chana dal till just done. The dal must retain its shape and break easily when pressed between the thumb and the forefinger. It should not be mushy.
Pressure cook the dal for just 2 whistles.
- Drain all the water out of the dal and leave it in the colander for 10 minutes to drain well.
- In a kadahi, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the udad dal and stir-fry till they are golden brown.
- Add the split red chillies and curry leaves.
- Stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the asafoetida and salt.
- Mix well.
- Add the cooked and drained chana dal.
- Mix well.
- Add the grated coconut and mix well.
- Offer as naivedyam and serve as prasadam.