I love mangoes! Raw, ripe, semi-ripe; it does not really matter. So this year I am experimenting with Uppu Manga | Brined Mangoes | Khalle Ambo. About a month ago, I made some mangoes in brine and have been waiting ever since for them to pickle properly so that I could make this super tangy, spicy, and utterly delicious Khalle Ambe Gotsu | Uppu Manga Gojju.
I learnt to brine mangoes and to make this recipe from Anupama Michael who has contributed so many fabulous recipes to this blog of mine. Since the day I brined the mangoes, I have been pestering Anupama on how long I have to wait before I can start using them. She has been very patient with me and sent me a pic of how the brined mango should look before I could use it. 😀
This week I thought my brined mangoes looked reasonably like Anu’s and so used one to make this fabulous Khalle Ambe Gotsu. This is no subtle dish by any stretch of imagination. It is bold, it is brassy, and it is just an explosion of salty, tangy, garlicky flavours that sent my hear soaring!
I would recommend that you try this Khalle Ambe Gotsu (Uppu Manga Gojju) as soon as you can brine some mangoes or lay your hands on some brined mangoes.
How to Make Khalle Ambe Gotsu | Uppu Manga Gojju | Uppu Mavinikai Gozzu
Khalle Ambe Gotsu | Uppu Manga Gojju | Uppu Mavinikai Gozzu
- 1 Small Brined Mango, Khalle Ambo See Notes
- 1/2 Cup Grated Coconut
- 2 Kashmiri Red Chillies
- 2 Spicy Red Chillies
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- Remove the Pickled Mango | Uppu Manga | Khalle Ambo from brine and soak it in some plain water.
- Using about 1/2 tsp oil, roast the red chillies till they start to change colour.
- Grind together the coconut, garlic, and red chillies to a coarse paste.
- Transfer the ground paste into a large bowl.
- Remove the whole brined mango from the water and add it to the paste.
- Using your hands, squish the mango and mix all of it (pulp and skin) into the coconut paste. Discard any seed you may find.
- Add some water to make the Gotsu like a thick but flowing chutney.
- Transfer the Khalle Ambe Gotsu | Uppu Manga Gojju into a bowl.
- Drizzle the remaining coconut oil on the gojju.
- Serve with hot rice and papad.
- Here is the recipe for Khalle Ambo | Uppu Manga | Uppu Mavinikai | Mangoes in Brine.
- I did not add any salt as the brined mangoes are salty enough.
Recipe for Khalle Ambe Gotsu | Uppu Manga Gojju | Uppu Mavinikai Gozzu
- Take the pickled mango from the brine water and transfer it to a bowl with drinking water for about 30 minutes. This helps leech the extra salt from the mango.
- In the meantime, using a few drops of oil, roast bot the kashmiri and the spicy red chillies till they start to change colour.
- Transfer the coconut, garlic, and red chillies to a chutney grinder.
- Grind to a coarse paste.
- Transfer the coconut paste into a large bowl.
- Remove the mango from the water and add it to the paste.
- Using your hands, break the mango and throw the seed away.
- Mash the mango well such that all the pulp mixes into the chutney and the skin breaks into small pieces.
- Add some water, if required, to make the gotsu thick yet flowing.
- Transfer the Khalle Ambe Gotsu | Uppu Manga Gojju into a serving bowl.
- Drizzle the remaining coconut oil on the gotsu.
- Serve with hot rice and papad.