I am back with Khalle Ambo | Uppu Manga | Mangoes in Brine, another gem of a recipe by Anupama Micheal. (I am starting to believe this friend of mine deserves a category all by herself on my blog.)
It all started in a food group that I am a part of. One of the participants posted their attempts at making mangoes in brine and then Anupama contributed her recipe along with a wonderful Gozzu | Gotsu made with these brined mangoes.
By now you know that I love and try everything that Anu suggests and so here I am with this super-duper easy way of preserving mangoes for the year and then making fabulous chutneys with it.
How to Make Khalle Ambo | Uppu Manga | Uppu Mavinikai | Mangoes in Brine: The GSB Way
Khalle Ambo | Mangoes in Brine
- 1/2 Kg Small, Dark Green Mangoes
- 1/4 Kg Salt Rock Salt Preferred
- 3 to 4 Litres Water
- Wipe the mangoes dry.
- Bring the 2 litres water to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and immediately add the mangoes to the hot water. The mangoes must be fully immersed in water.
- Cover and set aside till the water cools completely and the mangoes change colour.
- Carefully take the mangoes out of the water.
- In a dry jar, place a couple of mangoes and add some salt. Add a couple of more mangoes and add salt. Layer the salt and mangoes alternately.
- Pour enough clean drinking water into the jar so as to cover the mangoes completely.
- Close the jar and make sure it is air-tight.
- Let the mangoes to pickle in brine for at least 3 months before using them. Here is the recipe for Uppu Manga Chamanthi | Khaale Ambo Gotsu | Uppu Mavinikai Gojju.
Recipe for Khalle Ambo | Mangoes in Brine: The GSB Way
- Ensure that the jar in which you will pickle the mangoes is dry and clean.
- Using a clean and dry cotton cloth, wipe the mangoes dry.
- In a large vessel, boil 2 litres of water.
- When the water starts bubbling, take the vessel off the heat.
- Immediately, add the mangoes to the hot water. Ensure that the mangoes are fully immersed in water.
- Cover the vessel and set aside for about a couple of hours.
- Let the water cool completely. The mangoes would have also changed colour to a paler green by this time.
- Gently remove the mangoes from the water.
- In the jar you will use for pickling, create alternate layers of mangoes and salt.
- Gently pour clean drinking water into the jar till the mangoes are fully immersed.
- Close the jar and let the mangoes to pickle in the salt water for at least 1 month.n You know the mangoes have pickled when they wrinkle and shrivel a bit.
- Use Khalle Ambo to make Khalle Ambe Gotsu | Uppu Manga Gojju | Uppu Mavinikai Gojju.