As I mentioned in my earlier post, I had made three variations of Idli Upma and here I am with the second of those variations, the Lemon Idli Upma.
As you can see, this is essentially the recipe for Lemon Rice that I have adapted for Idli Upma. The result was a tangy breakfast that my father enjoyed.
As I mentioned in my post on Podi Idli Upma, Idli Upma tastes best when made with leftover idlis because fresh idlis are too moist to crumble. So I make idlis and leave them to dry out a bit for an hour or two. Occasionally, I might even make the idlis well in advance and refrigerate them after keeping them in an air-tight container.
Caution: Always refrigerate idlis in a closed air-tight container. If you refrigerate them open, then they will become overly dry.
Do also try my recipes for:
- Idli Upkari: A Snack with Leftover Idlis by Anupama Michael
- Kanchipuram Idli: Prasadam at Varadaraja Perumal Temple
- Dali Santhan | Moong Dal Idli | Dal Idli (No Rice Idli)
Recipe for Lemon Idli Upma
Lemon Idli Upma
- 6 Idlis Regular sized; See Notes
- Salt to Taste
- 2 tsp Ghee Vegans can use oil
- 3 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 tsp Udad Dal
- 4 to 6 Curry Leaves
- Crumble the idlis to a coarse powder
- In a heavy-bottomed wok or kadhai, heat the oil or ghee.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the udad dal and fry till the seeds are golden brown.
- Add curry leaves and stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Turn off the heat and wait for a couple of minutes.
- Add turmeric and lemon juice, and mix well.
- Add the idli crumble and salt. Mix well.
- Serve immediately.
- This Podi Idli Upma tastes best when the Idlis have dried out a bit because then they crumble well. So I make,
- Idlis in the morning and Idli Upma in the evening.
- Idlis the day before but store them in the fridge in an air-tight container.
- Do not add lemon juice to hot oil immediately or you will get a bitter taste.
- I turn off the heat before adding the crumbled idlis because otherwise the idli upma tends to stick to the vessel.