This is another version of Menthi Podi that we use sometimes.
- Minapappu/Udad Dal – 1 Cup
- Senaga Pappu/Chana Dal – 1 Cup
- Menthulu/Methi Dana/Fenugreek Seeds – 1/3 Cup
- Dhaniyalu/Saboot Dhania/Coriander Seeds – 1/2 Cup
- Red Chillies – 6 to 8
- Oil – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- In a heavy bottomed kadai/wok, heat the oil.
- Add split red chillies and fry for about a minute.
- Add the dals and coriander seeds.
- Roast till the dals change colour to light brown.
- For best result, use low-to-medium heat.
- It takes about 10-15 minutes for the dals to roast.
- Stir constantly or the dals will not roast evenly. 🙁
- Let the roasted dals cool completely.
- Grind to a coarse powder along with the salt.
- Store in an air-tight jar.
- You can omit the oil altogether and dry roast the ingredients. However, it will take longer and also, the “preservability” of the podi reduces.
- You can also make this powder afresh each time. Just use the ingredients proportionally.
- Chaaru Podi – 1 (Andhra Rasam Podi) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Nuvvula Podi (Roasted Sesame Powder, Roasted Til Powder) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Menthi Podi – 1 (aahaaramonline.com)
- Menthi Majjiga (Spiced Buttermilk with Fenugreek Seeds) (aahaaramonline.com)