This podi/powder cannot be eaten by itself but is used to make many dry kooras/curries. It is a staple in my home and can liven up many a staid koora.
- Sengaga Pappu/Chana Dal/Bengal Gram – 1/2 Cup
- Minapappu/Udad Dal/Black Gram – 1/2 Cup
- Menthulu/Methi Dana/Fenugreek Seeds – 1.5 tbsp
- Red Chillies – 8 to 10
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Salt to Taste
- In a heavy bottomed kadai/wok, heat the oil.
- Add senaga pappu, minapappu, menthulu, and red chillies.
- Over medium heat, roast them till the pappu/dals turn light brown.
- Stir constantly.
- Let the dals cool.
- Add salt and grind to a coarse powder.
- Store in an air-tight container.