Today, I am presenting this healthy and delicious Mooli ke Patte ki Sabzi that is a great way to use the nutritious radish greens. I have followed this recipe by Chef Harpal Singh Sokhi.
I have this aversion to Mooli or Radish because of its pungent taste and strong aroma. However, my Vaidya (Ayurvedic Doctor) has asked me to eat Mooli and so I have recently taken to making this vegetable at home, albeit reluctantly. So far, I have been cooking the radish itself as Mooli Paratha and as Roasted Red Radishes.
However, my colleagues at work have been recommending that I also make a simple stir-fry of radish and radish leaves for a while now. Yesterday I found this wonderful bunch of radish leaves with baby radishes and decided to try a radish leaves stir-fry.
In my mind, this masala added a bit of oomph to a plain curry and so I tried this Mooli ke Patte ki Sabzi forthwith. Indeed the result was a delicious dry sabzi that paired marvellously well with rotis.
I just used the baby radishes that were attached to the leaves. I would recommend that you add a medium-size radish to the curry to give it some volume. The radish measures in the recipe assume that you will use this additional radish.
How to Make Spicy Mooli ke Patte ki Sabzi | Radish Leaves Stir Fry
Spicy Mooli ke Patte ki Sabzi | Radish Leaves Stir Fry
- 1 Cup Radish, Finely Chopped
- 3 Cups Radish Greens, Finely Chopped
- 1.5 tbsp Poppy Seeds, Khus Khus
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds, Rai
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds, Jeera
- 2-3 Green Chillies
- 1 tbsp Oil Mustard Oil Preferred
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida, Hing
- 2 tsp Finely chopped ginger
- 2 tsp Crushed Garlic
- Salt to Taste
- Dry roast the cumin, mustard, poppy seeds and green chillies till the poppy seeds change colour.
- Transfer into a chutney grinder attachment and add about 3-4 tbsp of water.
- Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the poppy seeds to soak a bit.
- Grind into a fine paste.
- Separate the Radish Greens from the Radish.
- Wash and dry the radish greens.
- Chop the radish greens to fine pieces.
- Wash the radish and peel the outer layer.
- Chop the radish into small pieces.
- In a kadhai, using a medium flame, heat the oil. If you are using Mustard Oil, see notes.
- Add the hing, ginger and garlic.
- Stir-fry till the garlic turns golden.
- Add the radish pieces and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ground masala, salt, and 2-3 tbsp water.
- Stir-fry till the masala dries a bit.
- Turn the heat down to low.
- Add the radish greens and mix well.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes till the radish greens wilt.
- Take off the heat. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with hot rotis.
- Heat the mustard oil to smoking point till it becomes pale in colour.
- Take the Kadhai off the heat, and let the oil cool a bit.
- Now follow the rest of the recipe. 🙂
Recipe with Step by Step Instructions to Make Spicy Mooli ke Patte ki Sabzi | Radish Leaves Stir Fry
- I would recomend that you make the Poppy Seed-Cumin-Mustard-Chilli masala as the first step so that the poppy seeds can soak while you get on with other tasks.
- Over medium, heat a pan.
- Add cumin, mustard, poppy seeds and green chillies and dry roast till the poppy seeds change colour to light brown.
- Transfer the roasted dry spices into a small grinder.
- Add 3-4 tbsp of water the dry spices and let the poppy seeds soak for about 10 minutes.
- When the poppy has soaked a bit, grind the masala into a fine paste. You may need to add a tad bit more water while grinding.
- Prepping the Radish and Radish Greens (I did this while the roasted spices were soaking)
- Cut close to the top of the baby radishes to separate them from the radish greens.
- If the stems are tender you can use them, else separate the stems from the greens.
- Wash the radish greens well and dry them a bit before cutting them to small pieces.
- Wash the radish well to get rid of the dirt and dry them.
- Peel the outer layer of the radish and chop it into small pieces.
- Cooking the Mooli ke Patte ki Sabzi
- In a kadhai, using a medium flame, heat the oil. If you are using Mustard Oil, heat it to smoking point, and take the kadhai off the heat and let the oil cool a bit before placing it back on flame. If you cooking in smoking hot oil, everything will burn in a second.
- To the heated oil, add the asafoetida, chopped ginger and chopped garlic.
- Stir-fry till the garlic turns golden.
- Next, add the chopped radish pieces and fry for a couple of minutes.
- To the fried radish pieces, add the ground masala, salt, and 2-3 tbsp water.
- Cook till the poppy seed masala dries a bit.
- Before adding the radish greens, turn the heat down to low as the leaves wilt in a jiffy.
- Now, add the radish greens and mix well.
- Cook the greens for a couple of minutes till they wilt.
- Immediately take the kadhai off the flame.
- Cover and set aside for 5 minutes to let the leaves cook in the residual heat.
- Serve warm Mooli ke Patte ki Sabzi with hot rotis.