This dish is so very easy-to-make, and my stand by for the days when I don’t have any veggies at home.
- Chana Dal/Senaga Pappu – 1 Cup
- Grated Coconut – 1/3 Cup
- Red Chillies – 3 or 4
- Udad Dal – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida/Hing – 1 Pinch
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Curry Leaves – A few
- Soak the chana dal with 2 Cups water for about 30 mins.
- Pressure the chana dal for 1 whistle or till the dal is just cooked.
- Drain the dal completely of water and set aside.
- In a kadai/wok, heat the oil.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till they sputter.
- Add the udad dal and fry till it turns golden brown.
- Add the split red chillies and fry for 5-10 secs.
- Add the hing and curry leaves.
- Fry for about 2-3 secs.
- Add the cooked chana dal and mix well.
- Cook for about 2 mins.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the grated coconut and mix well.
- Serve with hot rice and ghee with maagai pachadi as a side dish!
- Take care that the dal is not over cooked, otherwise it will become a mash. The dal should retain its shape after cooking.
- Drain the water completely from the cooked dal. I let it sit in a colander for about 15-20 mins.
- Do not add the coconut to the oil or while the heat is on. If you do, your vegetable will taste of coconut oil. 🙁
- This koora is best eaten with rice as it is a bit too dry for rotis.
I make both the sweet and the savoury maagai pachadi with this koora!
- Maagai (Raw Mango Pickle) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Teepi Maagai Pachadi (Sweet Maagai Chutney) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Mãgai Perugu Pachadi (aahaaramonline.com)
Leave a Reply