Andhra Pradesh has a well-deserved reputation for its pachadis, podis, and uragayalu (pickles). I have not seen any other community make this unique Pesara Pappu Pachadi, an oh-so-simple pachadi made from Pesara Pappu, Moong Dal or Husked Green Gram.
My father likes Pesara Pappu Pachadi a lot and so I make it for him often. I also make this Moong Dal Chutney when I don’t feel like cooking, especially in summers.
In Andhra Pradesh, we enjoy this pachadi (and indeed other pachadis and podis as well) with warm rice and ghee, and typically as the first course of the meal. It is called the Modati Mudda, the first morsel, and is said to whet the appetite. It also helps kickstart the digestion.
What I like about this Moong Dal Chutney is its creamy texture and the fact that it takes less than 10 minutes to make (if you discount the soaking time).
Do try my recipe for Andhra Kandi Pachadi | Tuvar Dal Chutney, Pesara Pappu Kattu, and Pesara Sunni Undalu.
Recipe for Andhra Pesara Pappu Pachadi | Moong Dal Chutney | Pasi Paruppu Thogyal
Pesara Pappu Pachadi | Andhra Moong Dal Chutney
- 1/4 Cup Pesara Pappu, Moong Dal (~60 gms)
- 3-4 Spicy Red Chillies
- 1-2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 3-4 Curry Leaves
- Salt to Taste
- Wash the moong dal well and soak in 1 cup water for about 45 minutes.
- Drain all the water and set aside.
- In a ladle, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they crackle.
- Turn off the heat.
- To the hot oil, add the red chillies and curry leaves. Mix well.
- Remove most of the the red chillies from the tempering and add to the moong dal.
- Grind together the moong dal, lemon juice, and salt with a little water to a get creamy consistency.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the tempering and mix well.
- Add a generous dollop of the pachadi and some ghee to warm steamed rice. Mix well, and enjoy!
- Do use a good amount of chillies and/or lemon juice, else the Pesara Pappu Pachadi | Pasi Paruppu Thogyal will be bland. 🙁
- You can also add cumin seeds in the tempering.
This is an old post from 2015 that I am reposting with new pics.
Leave a Reply