I have been lazy and lax about blogging in recent times and I am hoping to remedy that now. I am using the upcoming Telugu New Year celebrations on Ugadi (March 28, 2017) to give me the impetus. 🙂 My first post in this series is Pesara Sunni Undalu.
Pesara Sunni Undalu are Moong Dal Laddus made in Andhra Pradesh for festive occasions. On Ugadi, there a lot of goodies to savour but it always helps to have laddus on hand to cater to unexpected demand or those in-between-meals hunger pangs. (Though given how much we eat at the festive meal, hunger should be at bay for a few days. 😉 )
I have already posted the recipe for Minapa Sunni Undalu (Udad Dal Laddu) and so this year I thought of making Pesara Sunni Undalu. These laddus are very easy to make, need only 3 commonly found ingredients and can be stored for a few days. As a result, you can make them in advance of the Ugadi (or Diwali) celebrations.
The best part about these Moong Dal Laddus is that they are protein-rich, what with all the Moong Dal and Ghee in them.
How to Make Pesara Sunni Undalu | Andhra Moong Dal Laddu
Pesara Sunni Undalu | Moong Dal Laddu
- 200 Gms Pesara Pappu, Moong Dal
- 100 Gms Powdered Sugar
- 50 Gms Ghee
- 6 Cardamom Pods
Making the Moong Dal Powder
- Over a medium flame, heat a non-stick pan.
- Add the Pesara Pappu to the warm pan.
- Dry roast the Pesara Pappu till it turns golden brown. Mix constantly while roasting.
- Transfer the sauteed dal into a plate and let cool to room temperature.
- As the dal is cooling, peel the cardamom.
- Add the cardamom seeds and cooled Moong Dal to a grinder.
- Grind to a fine powder. It will still be a touch coarse at the end.
Making the Pesara Sunni Undalu
- Mix together the powdered Moong Dal and sugar.
- Melt the ghee and add to the powder.
- Mix well.
- Divide the mix into 8 portions.
- Shape each portion into a round laddu by pressing it between your palm and fingers.
- Store the Pesara Sunni Undalu in an air-tight container.
- You can use a touch less ghee (about 35 gms) to get drier Moong Dal Laddus.