I love having Poha for breakfast. I started making this Poha with Moong Sprouts at the advice of a friend who is a nutritionist to add some protein to my breakfast.
Poha (Beaten Rice or Rice Flakes) are very popular in India and are used to make breakfasts, dry snacks, and even desserts. While peas, onions, and potatoes are commonly used to make Poha, in this case I am using whole moong sprouts to make it even more nutritious.
Whole Moong Dal is a good source of proteins for vegetarians and is rich in nutrients such as magnesium, manganese, folate and more.
Read more about the nutrition in whole moong beans.
We use quite a bit of whole moong at home, usually to make Pesarattu | Andhra Moong Dal Dosa, Pesarattu Paddu | Moong Dal Paniyaram, or then as Moong Sprouts in salads. So I can make this dish even on a whim. 🙂
Maharashtra is well-known for widely using beaten rice to make a range of dishes. Do try my recipes for the less well-known Vangi Pohe | Brinjal Poha, Kolache Pohe, and Dadpe Pohe.
Recipe for Poha with Moong Sprouts
Poha with Moong Sprouts
- 1 Cup Thick Poha, Jada Poha
- 1 Cup Moong Sprouts
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin
- Salt to Taste
- Add the poha to a colander and wash under running water for a minute till the poha is soaked.
- Set aside to drain for 10 minutes. The poha will absorb water and increase in volume.
- In a wok, heat the oil.
- Add the cumin seeds and wait till they start to change colour.
- Add the moong sprouts and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the salt, turmeric, and chilli powder.
- Mix well.
- Add the washed and drained poha, and mix well.
- Serve hot with some dahi on the side or with a squeeze of lemon juice.
How to Make Moong Sprouts Poha
- Getting the Poha Ready
- Add the poha to a colander and wash under running water for a minute till the poha is soaked. Gently toss the poha with your fingers or with a spoon to ensure that all the flakes get wet.
- Set aside to drain for 10 minutes. The poha will absorb water and increase in volume. Also the flakes should be moist and separate easily but not clump. Do not drain the poha for too long because then it will dry out.
- Making the Moong Sprouts Poha
- In a wok, over medium flame, heat the oil.
- Now, add the cumin seeds and wait till they start to crackle and change colour.
- Add the moong sprouts and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes. The sprouts will start to become slightly translucent as well.
- Now add the salt, turmeric, and chilli powder, and mix well.
- Finally, add the washed and drained poha.
- Mix well with a gentle hand.
- Serving Ideas
- Serve warm Moong Sprouts Poha with some cold dahi on the side or with a squeeze of lemon juice.
Leave a Reply