Sheera or Suji ka Halwa is a very popular halwa across India. Made with Semolina (aka Rava or Sooji), this dessert is very very easy to make and gets done in under 30 minutes. You can make it as a simple dessert or then make variations such as Rava Kesari, Pineapple Kesari or Pineapple Sheera, or Banana Sheera or Sapata.
You can make it with or without milk. This Sheera or Suji ka Halwa Recipe uses no milk (except for soaking saffron).
Rava Sheera | Suji ka Halwa (Without Milk)
- 1 Cup Rava, Semolina, or Suji
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 4 tbsp Ghee
- 6 Cashew Nuts
- 10 to 12 Kishmish/Raisins
- 8 to 10 Strands Saffron Optional
- 2 tbsp Milk Optional
- 3 or 4 Pods Cardamom
- 2.5 Cups Water
- Warm the milk and soak the saffron strands in them for at least 10 minutes.
- Crush the cardamom seeds to a rough powder.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel or kadai/wok, over medium heat, heat the ghee.
- Add the split cashew nuts and fry till light brown.
- Add the rava and fry till it just starts to turn brown.
- Turn the heat to low. Add the sugar and mix well.
- Add the kishmish and mix well.
- Add the water and cardamom powder.
- Stir well.
- Turn the heat up to medium and let the rava cook.
- Stir constantly.
- When the water is almost absorbed, add the milk and saffron.
- Mix well.
- Let it cook over medium-low heat till almost all the water is absorbed.
- Serve warm.