On the long Holi+Easter weekend, I made Nucchina Unde with Southekayi Hasi Majjige for breakfast. This was at the recommendation of Roopa Belur, a friend and fellow foodie. And what a treat this turned out to be. This classic breakfast from Karnataka was simply delicious and the perfect way to begin a lazy weekend.
A bit more about Roopa before I tell you more about the recipe. I have known Roopa for many years now. I first met her as a professional acquaintance and we stayed connected over the years. We have many common interests, but most recently we have been connecting over food. By nature, Roopa is a calm person with a kind word for everyone. You can see that in her comments on my posts on Facebook. She regularly shares how she makes different dishes or various specialties from Karnataka, her home state. She is a traditionalist at heart and so her recipe reflect authentic tastes and are never very difficult to make.
I was delighted when Roopa suggested that I try Nucchina Unde and even more delighted when she mailed me the recipe for Southekayi Hasi Majjige, the traditional accompaniment for Nucchiunde. This recipe is very representative of Roopa; taste bhi aur health bhi. 🙂
Thank you, Roopa, for this recipe of Southekayi Hasi Majjige Huli. I am absolutely bowled over by this creamy, crunchy, spicy yogurt based gravy. While it was the perfect accompaniment for Nucchina Unde, I also enjoyed it with Idli and Dosa.
How to Make Southekayi Hasi Majjige Huli
- 1.5 Cups Finely Chopped Cucumber
- 1 Cup Yogurt
- Salt to Taste
- 1/3 Cup Grated Coconut
- 2 tbsp Fried Gram
- 6 Green Chillies
- 1 Handful Fresh Coriander Leaves
- 1/4 tsp Roasted Methi Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 Red Chillies
- 8 to 10 Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 Large Pinch Hing or Asafoetida
- 1 Large Pinch Turmeric
- Using a little water, grind together all ingredients listed under "Ingredients for the Spice Paste" to a smooth paste.
- Beat the yogurt into a smooth paste.
- Add cucumber pieces, spice paste and salt.
- Mix well.
- Heat the oil.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add split red chillies, curry leaves, hing, and turmeric.
- Stir-fry for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Add the tempering to the Southekayi Hasi Majjige Huli.
- Mix well.
Serve with Nucchina Unde or even with Idli or Dosa.