This is perhaps the Creamiest Mushroom Sauce that I have ever had. I have been meaning to make it since the day Nikita told me about it a few weeks ago, but other recipes got in the way. I made this creamy vegan mushroom sauce this weekend to use with spaghetti and have been raving about it to all those who are willing to hear about it ever since. 🙂
The star of this recipe is the cashew paste which is creamy and rich. It is also neutral in taste so you can add any ingredient to flavour it. I have used cashew for creamy effect in the past while making Creamy Restaurant Style Palak Paneer.
In this recipe, we used sautéed mushrooms, and a touch of garlic and pepper to create a wonderful vegan mushroom sauce that is a great replacement for the traditional Mushroom Ragu.
What we have also discovered is that depending on how thick or thin we make this sauce, it can be used as a sauce for pasta or then as a sandwich spread. I used the creamy mushroom sauce with spaghetti while Kiran (another foodie friend of mine) used it to make Mushroom Toast.
Recipe for Creamy Vegan Mushroom Sauce
- 600 gms Mushrooms
- 6 to 8 Garlic Cloves
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Cashews
- 1/2 tsp Pepper Powder
- Salt to Taste
- Soak the cashews in 2 cups water for about 2 hours.
- Drain and reserve the water.
- Grind the cashews to a smooth paste with a little water.
- Clean the mushrooms.
- Slice the mushrooms .
- Set aside.
- In a pan, heat the olive oil.
- Crush the garlic and add to the olive oil.
- Stir-fry till the garlic loses the raw smell.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Stir-fry till the mushrooms are cooked.
- Add the pepper powder and salt.
- Mix well.
- Add the cashew paste and enough of the reserved water to make a thick sauce.
- Cook a bit till the cashew paste loses the raw taste.