The Hindu month of Shravan can be a bit overwhelming because it is crowded with Indian food. Midway through Shravan we always have a craving for different kid of food and this year was not different. So we decided to make Pasta for a change midway last week and what a wonderful change that was to the palate. As a bonus we discovered this amazing sauce made with roasted tomatoes, basil and ricotta cheese.
This recipe is dedicated to Harish and Arnab, two of my cousins who love pasta and love to eat healthy!
Time: 60 Mins
- Spaghetti – 200 gms
- Tomatoes – 1/4 kg
- Basil – 1/2 Cup
- Ricotta Cheese – 75 gms
- Red Bell Pepper – 1 small
- Yellow Bell Pepper – 1 small
- Broccoli – 1/2 small head
- Garlic Cloves – 2
- Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Olive Oil – 5 tbsp + 1/2 tsp
- Salt to Taste
Making the Tomato, Basil and Ricotta Cheese Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Grease a baking sheet/pan with 1/2 tsp olive oil.
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters length-wise.
- Mix together 3 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper powder.
- Toss the tomatoes in the olive oil.
- Spread on the tomatoes quarters on the baking sheet.
- Place in the hot oven and roast for 30 minutes.
- Turn off the oven.
- Finely chop the garlic cloves and spread over the hot tomatoes.
- Let it remain in the warm oven for 10 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Grind the roasted tomatoes together with the basil to a coarse paste.
- Crumble the ricotta cheese and add to the sauce.
- Mix well.
Cooking the Spaghetti
- Boil 2 litres of water.
- Add 1 tsp of salt.
- Add the spaghetti.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook till the water starts to boil again.
- Remove the lid and cook the spaghetti till it is just “al dente” (firm to bite but cooked).
- Remove 1/2 cup water from the pasta and set aside.
- Drain the rest of the water immediately. Do not rinse.
Putting it All together
- Cut the bell pepper into long strips.
- Break up the broccoli into florets.
- In a wide wok or pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Add the bell pepper strips and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets and stir-fry for 20 seconds.
- Add the sauce.
- Mix well and cook till the vegetables are done.
- Add the water from the pasta and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the spaghetti and mix well.
- Season with salt as required.
- Serve warm!