Velakkaya Bellam Pachadi is a sweet and tangy chutney made with Wood Apple and Jaggery. This recipe was suggested by a reader named Sudha Devnath as a comment to my Velakkaya Perugu Pachadi recipe. She is due to share her recipe with me and I am waiting eagerly for it. In the meantime, I had a Wood Apple ripening at home and searched the net for a recipe and this is the most common version I found.
This is the first time I am making and eating Velakkaya Bellam Pachadi, and I quite enjoyed it.
Read more about Velakkaya or Wood Apple in my post on Velakkaya Perugu Pachadi
How to Make Teepi Velakkaya Bellam Pachadi | Sweet and Tangy Wood Apple Chutney with Jaggery
Time: 10 Minutes
Makes: 1 Cup
Serves: 4 to 6
- Velakkaya, Wood Apple – 1 Large (About 1 Cup of Pulp)
- Grated Jaggery – 1/3 Cup
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chillies – 1 or 2
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – A Large Pinch
- Salt to Taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
Method to Make Velakkaya Bellam Pachadi
- Extracting the Pulp:
- Use the handle of a large knife or a heavy ladle to crack open the Velakkaya.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the pulp.
- Using a spoon, gently mash the pulp a bit.
- In a pan, heat 1 tsp of oil.
- Add the Velakkaya pulp.
- Stir-fry for 5 minutes or till the raw aroma disappears. You can even add a bit of water and cook the pulp, if so required.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the turmeric, salt, cumin, red chilli powder, and jaggery. Mix well.
- Use a heavy ladle, mix well till the Velakkaya Bellam Pachadi is mashed and well-blended.
Using some water, grind the cooked wood apple to a smooth paste.
- Take the Velakkaya Bellam Pachadi into a bowl.
- To temper:
- Heat 1 tsp oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the split red chillies.
- Add the tempering to Velakkaya Perugu Pachadi.
- Mix well.
- Serve Velakkaya Bellam Pachadi at room temperature with rice.
Leave a Reply