I am back with Khalle Ambo | Uppu Manga | Mangoes in Brine, another gem of a recipe by Anupama Micheal. (I am starting to believe this friend of mine deserves a category all by herself on my blog.)
It all started in a food group that I am a part of. One of the participants posted their attempts at making mangoes in brine and then Anupama contributed her recipe along with a wonderful Gozzu | Gotsu made with these brined mangoes.
By now you know that I love and try everything that Anu suggests and so here I am with this super-duper easy way of preserving mangoes for the year and then making fabulous chutneys with it.
How to Make Khalle Ambo | Uppu Manga | Uppu Mavinikai | Mangoes in Brine: The GSB Way
Khalle Ambo is an excellent way of preserving and using mangoes well past the summer. I was first introduced to this wonderful mangoes preserved in brine by my sister-in-law's mother and have been a fan ever since.
- 1/2 Kg Small, Dark Green Mangoes
- 1/4 Kg Salt Rock Salt Preferred
- 3 to 4 Litres Water
Wipe the mangoes dry.
Bring the 2 litres water to a boil.
Turn off the heat and immediately add the mangoes to the hot water. The mangoes must be fully immersed in water.
Cover and set aside till the water cools completely and the mangoes change colour.
Carefully take the mangoes out of the water.
In a dry jar, place a couple of mangoes and add some salt. Add a couple of more mangoes and add salt. Layer the salt and mangoes alternately.
Pour enough clean drinking water into the jar so as to cover the mangoes completely.
Close the jar and make sure it is air-tight.
Let the mangoes to pickle in brine for at least 3 months before using them. Here is the recipe for Uppu Manga Chamanthi | Khaale Ambo Gotsu | Uppu Mavinikai Gojju.
Recipe for Khalle Ambo | Mangoes in Brine: The GSB Way
- Ensure that the jar in which you will pickle the mangoes is dry and clean.
- Using a clean and dry cotton cloth, wipe the mangoes dry.
- In a large vessel, boil 2 litres of water.
- When the water starts bubbling, take the vessel off the heat.
- Immediately, add the mangoes to the hot water. Ensure that the mangoes are fully immersed in water.
- Cover the vessel and set aside for about a couple of hours.
- Let the water cool completely. The mangoes would have also changed colour to a paler green by this time.
- Gently remove the mangoes from the water.
- In the jar you will use for pickling, create alternate layers of mangoes and salt.
- Gently pour clean drinking water into the jar till the mangoes are fully immersed.
- Close the jar and let the mangoes to pickle in the salt water for at least 1 month.n You know the mangoes have pickled when they wrinkle and shrivel a bit.
- Use Khalle Ambo to make Khalle Ambe Gotsu | Uppu Manga Gojju | Uppu Mavinikai Gojju.