Coconut Milk Biryani is a dish that combines two of my most favourite ingredients; rice and coconut milk. I also love it because it is oh-so-creamy in texture and oh-so-light on spices. 🙂
The first time I actually used Coconut Milk to make Biryani was when I made Egg Biryani with Coconut Milk. When I tasted that dish I was in heaven and later adapted that recipe to make this Coconut Milk Biryani.
The best part about this dish is that it takes just about 30 minutes to make and needs very few ingredients. Also, you do not need much by way of accompaniment. I eat Coconut Milk Biryani by itself or then with some papad.
How to Make Coconut Milk Biryani
Coconut Milk Biryani
- 1.5 Cup Basmati Rice
- 3/4 Cup Thick Coconut Milk or Coconut Cream
- 1 Medium-sized Carrot
- 12 to 15 French Beans
- 1/4 Cup Peas
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1 Medium Potato
- 4 Cloves
- 2" Stick Cinnamom
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 tsp Grated Ginger
- 1 or 2 Green Chillies
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Fresh Coriander - A Handful
- Salt to Taste
- Wash the basmati rice.
- Soak in water for 10 minutes.
- Drain the water from the rice and set aside
- Wash, peel and dice the carrot into 1" pieces
- Wash, peel and dice the potato into 1" pieces
- Peel and dice the onion into 1" pieces
- Cut the french beans into 1" pieces
- Grind the coriander, ginger and green chillies to a fine paste.
- In a pressure cooker or a heavy bottomed vessel, heat the oil.
- Add the cloves, cinnamon, fennel, and bay leaf.
- Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped onion.
- Stir-fry till transparent.
- Add the french beans, potato and carrot.
- Stir-fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the peas.
- Stir-fry for a minute minutes.
- Add the drained basmati rice and ground masala.
- Mix well.
- Add the coconut milk and 1.25 cups water.
- Mix well.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles.
Cook covered till done.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve with Papad and Raita.