Mushrooms. I love them. One good thing about globalization is that I can get all kinds of mushrooms in India and can indulge myself.
In the days of yore the only type of mushrooms available in India were button mushrooms (Kumbh as they are called in India) and we had to make do with them. My earliest memories of eating mushroom is as the ubiquitous mushroom masala-present of every restaurant menu for those with “western tastes”-and as Cream of Mushroom Soup.
I absolutely love Cream of Mushroom Soup. It is filling. It has a great flavour. And the very aroma of it (nay the very thought) can make my mouth water.
Earlier, I was the only mushroom lover in my family. Now-a-days, I have to fight my sister-in-law for my share of the mushroom-laden goodies. What say, Bhavna?
It is, however, nice to have the company of a fellow mushroom lover because then I don’t have to wait for special occasions to make mushrooms.
- Button Mushrooms – 12-14 Large
- Onion – 1 Large
- Milk – 3 Cups
- Water – 1 Cup
- Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Olive Oil – 1.5 tbsp
- Refined Flour – 1 tbsp
- Salt to Taste
- Chop the mushrooms to fine bits.
- Set aside about 4 tbsp of chopped mushrooms.
- Peel and dice the onion.
- In a wok, heat 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Add the chopped onion and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the mushrooms (except the 4 tbsp set aside).
- Stir-fry for 5-7 minutes or till the mushrooms are cooked.
- Puree the onion-mushroom mix along with 1/4 cup of water into a coarse paste.
- In a wok, heat the remaining oil.
- Add the 4 tbsp mushrooms pieces and fry till they are done.
- Add the flour to the fried mushrooms and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 3/4 cup water, milk, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Serve warm with some toasted garlic bread or Bruschetta.
- The mushroom pieces add a unique texture to the soup.
- You could garnish with 2 tbsp of fresh cream.
- You can use 1 tbsp butter instead of olive oil.
- You could add 2 cloves of crushed garlic to step 5.
- Mushroom Chettinad (aahaaramonline.com)
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms (aahaaramonline.com)
- Cream of Mushroom Soup (wildrarebit.wordpress.com)
- Mushroom Soup (angsarap.net)
- Mushroom Soup (trinityscopperkitchen.wordpress.com)