Khichdi… hearing the very word brings comfort when one is feeling blue. Moong Dal Khichdi is one of those comfort foods whose appeal is universal. It is very easy to make and a great way to eat sprouts, if you do not like sprouts by themselves. If you are ill or are feeling queasy, having moong dal khichdi will make you feel better. If you are craving for something “nice” to eat, Kadhi-Khichdi is the answer.
Moong Dal Khichadi is North India’s answer to the South Indian Ven Pongal or Katte Pongali!
Do try my Moong Dal Palak Khichdi Cooked in Buttermilk.
- Rice – 1 Cup
- Moong Sprouts – 1 Cup
- Cumin or Jeera – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/8 tsp
- Ghee or Clarified Butter – 1 tbsp
- Salt to Taste
- Soak the rice and sprouts in 4 cups of water for 1 hour.
- Pressure cook the soaked rice and moong sprouts for 4 whistles.
- When the rice-dal mix has cooled a bit, mas with a heavy ladle.
- In a kadhai or a heavy bottomed vessel, heat the ghee.
- Add the cumin seeds and stir-fry till they start to change colour.
- Add turmeric.
- Add the mashed rice-moon sprouts and mix well.
- Add salt.
- Add a bit of water, if required.
- Mix well.
- Serve hot with ghee and kadhi.
- Moong Dal Tempura (fussfreecookingblog.wordpress.com)
- Moong Dal Sprouts and Farsan (aahaaramonline.com)
- Moong Sprouts or Green Gram Sprouts (aahaaramonline.com)
- Jeera Rice or Rice with Cumin (aahaaramonline.com)
Leave a Reply