I absolutely love Palada Pradhaman, probably even more than the traditional favourite Ada Pradhaman. This time around I made Palada Pradhaman from scratch, even making the Ada at home. I am glad I did this because it turned out to be a rewarding experience. Homemade Ada added a certain “je ne sais quois” to this unique kheer which uses steamed rice flakes.
I think this lovely, lovely dish is the perfect way to celebrate Onam which falls on this weekend.
Try more delicious dishes from this post Collection of Onam Sadya Recipes.
Time: 45-60 Minutes
- Ada – ½ Cup
- Milk – ¾ Litre
- Sugar – ? to ¾ Cup
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Green Cardamom Powder – ¼ tsp
Method to Make Palada Pradhaman
- If you are using homemade ada, soak it in hot water till you are ready to use it.
- If you are using store-bought ada:
- Boil it in 2 cups of water till it is cooked.
- Drain the hot water.
- Wash in cold water.
- Soak in warm water till you are ready to use it.
- Set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, over low flame, melt the ghee.
- Add the sugar to it.
- Stir till the sugar is melted.
- Drain the ada.
- Add the ada to the sugar+ghee.
- Mix well till the ada is coated with the melted sugar.
- Add the milk and mix well.
- Over low flame, boil the milk till it reduces a bit and gets a nice pink colour.
- Turn off the heat.
- Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled; Palada Pradhaman is delicious in all ways! 🙂