Yesterday, I posted the recipe for Kadalai Paruppu Sundal | Chana Dal Sundal and here I am today with the recipe for Pasi Paruppu Sundal | Moong Dal Sundal.
Do try my recipes for sundal made with Verkadalai, Pattani, Konda Kadalai, Kothu Kadalai, and Sweet Corn.
This recipe is a quite similar to Vada Pappu or Kosambari. The main difference is that those recipes use soaked Moong Dal, while we cook Moong Dal for Sundal. I like this sundal because it is much lighter on the stomach than the others and is also easy to make.
How to Make Pasi Paruppu Sundal | Moong Dal Sundal
Soaking Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
Serves: 6 to 8
- Moong Dal, Pasi Paruppu, Pesara Pappu – 1.5 Cups
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 Cup
- Udad Dal – 1.5 tsp
- Rai, Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Red Chillies – 3 or 4
- Asafoetida – 2 Large Pinches
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – A Few
- Salt to Taste
- Wash the moong dal and soak it in 3 cups water for about 1 hour.
- Boil the moong dal till just done. The dal must retain its shape and break easily when pressed between the thumb and the forefinger. It should not be mushy. Be careful as the Moong Dal cooks pretty fast.
- Drain all the water out of the dal and leave it in the colander for 10 minutes to drain well.
- In a kadhi or a wok, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the udad dal and stir-fry till they are golden brown.
- Add the split red chillies and curry leaves.
- Stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the asafoetida and salt.
- Mix well.
- Add the cooked and drained moong dal.
- Mix well.
- Add the grated coconut and mix well.
- Offer as naivedyam and serve as prasadam.
Leave a Reply