Well, I am on this binge of making soups with roasted vegetables. I posted the recipe for the Roasted Pumpkin Soup last year and have posted the recipe for Roasted Tomato Soup a few days ago. Today, I made Roasted Carrot Soup.
Actually, I have not limited myself to soups with roasted vegetables. I also made the Roasted Red Bell Pepper Chutney or Pachadi.
The Roasted Carrot Soup is not as sweet as the regular carrot soup and that is something that I (who likes savoury food) loved about it. I added a degree of creaminess to it while avoiding calories by using Hung Curd for garnish.
How to Make Roasted Carrot Soup
Roasted Carrot Soup
- 1 Kg Carrots
- 1 Medium-sized Onion
- 8 to 10 Garlic Cloves
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt to Taste
- Pepper to Taste
- 4 tbsp Hung Card to Garnish Omit for Vegan version
- Lightly oil a baking tray.
- Pre-heat an oven to 150°C.
- Peel and cut the carrots into 1/4"discs.
- Peel and cut the onions into large chunks.
- Do not peel the garlic cloves.
- In a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, unpeeled garlic pods and onions.
- Ensure that the onions and garlic are covered with the olive oil.
- Remove the onions and garlic from the oil and set aside.
- Toss the carrot discs in the remaining oil. Add a little more oil, if required.
- Place the carrot discs on the oiled tray.
- Do not place the onions and garlic on the tray at this moment.
- Place the tray in the pre-heated oven and bake for about 10 minutes. The carrot discs should just start browning.
- Now scatter the oil-tossed onions and garlic cloves among the tomatoes.
- Continue to roast in the oven till the carrot pieces start to brown just a bit and the onion and garlic starts to char a bit.
- Remove from the oven and let the vegetables cool a bit.
- Remove the garlic cloves and press then between the thumb and index finger to remove the peel.
- Save the tray in which the vegetables were roasted because it has all the juices and a bit of the oil.
- Grind the roasted carrots, onions, and garlic into a thick paste with a little water.
- Add about 2 to 3 cups of water and salt.
- Blend well.
- Boil the Roasted Carrot Soup to thicken it a bit.
- Divide into four equal portions.
- Top with the juices from the roasting pan.
- Season with pepper, if required.
- Top with a generous dollop of hung curd.
- Serve hot!