Well, I am on this binge of making soups with roasted vegetables. I posted the recipe for the Roasted Pumpkin Soup last year and have posted the recipe for Roasted Tomato Soup a few days ago. Today, I made Roasted Carrot Soup.
Actually, I have not limited myself to soups with roasted vegetables. I also made the Roasted Red Bell Pepper Chutney or Pachadi.
The Roasted Carrot Soup is not as sweet as the regular carrot soup and that is something that I (who likes savoury food) loved about it. I added a degree of creaminess to it while avoiding calories by using Hung Curd for garnish.
How to Make Roasted Carrot Soup
- 1 Kg Carrots
- 1 Medium-sized Onion
- 8 to 10 Garlic Cloves
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt to Taste
- Pepper to Taste
- 4 tbsp Hung Card to Garnish Omit for Vegan version
- Lightly oil a baking tray.
- Pre-heat an oven to 150°C.
- Peel and cut the carrots into 1/4"discs.
- Peel and cut the onions into large chunks.
- Do not peel the garlic cloves.
- In a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, unpeeled garlic pods and onions.
- Ensure that the onions and garlic are covered with the olive oil.
- Remove the onions and garlic from the oil and set aside.
- Toss the carrot discs in the remaining oil. Add a little more oil, if required.
- Place the carrot discs on the oiled tray.
- Do not place the onions and garlic on the tray at this moment.
- Place the tray in the pre-heated oven and bake for about 10 minutes. The carrot discs should just start browning.
- Now scatter the oil-tossed onions and garlic cloves among the tomatoes.
- Continue to roast in the oven till the carrot pieces start to brown just a bit and the onion and garlic starts to char a bit.
- Remove from the oven and let the vegetables cool a bit.
- Remove the garlic cloves and press then between the thumb and index finger to remove the peel.
- Save the tray in which the vegetables were roasted because it has all the juices and a bit of the oil.
- Grind the roasted carrots, onions, and garlic into a thick paste with a little water.
- Add about 2 to 3 cups of water and salt.
- Blend well.
- Boil the Roasted Carrot Soup to thicken it a bit.
- Divide into four equal portions.
- Top with the juices from the roasting pan.
- Season with pepper, if required.
- Top with a generous dollop of hung curd.
- Serve hot!
Do not add the onions and garlic to the roasting pan along with the carrots in the beginning. If you do, they will char and burn as they do not need to much time to roast.
There is a load of flavour in the oil and juices left behind on the pan. It lends a wonderful flavour to the soup.
I sometimes mop up the juices with small pieces of toasted bread and use these as croutons in the soup.