I love Methi Muthia and got a packet of fried Methi Muthias last week, just to munch on. Then as I was idly browsing what one can do with Muthias, I came several recipes of Muthia being used in curries. The one that caught my eye was Turiya Muthia nu Shaak because it used ridge gourd, one of my favourite vegetables.
The recipe for Turiya Muthia nu Shaak was very similar to the Beerakaya Senaga Pappu Kura (Turai aur Chana Dal ki Sabzi) we make in Andhra Pradesh, and as I had all the ingredients at home I tried it immediately with great results. I loved the many textures and flavours of this curry; the turia was soft while the muthias added a crunch. As with many Gujarati recipes, there is a touch of sugar in this curry which brought out the sweetness of the ridge gourd while the chilli powder lent it some heat.
Do also try my recipes for:
- Steamed Methi Muthia
- Fried Methi Muthia
- Beerakaya Pappu | Turai ki Dal
- Beerakaya Thokku Pachadi | Andhra Ridge Gourd Curry
- Beerakaya Kura
- Beerakaya Palu Posina Kura | Andhra Ridge Gourd Curry Cooked in Milk
Recipe for Turiya Muthia nu Shaak from Gujarat
Turiya Muthia nu Shaak
- 250 gms Ridge Gourd, Turiya, Turai
- 8 to 10 Fried Methi Muthia (See notes for recipe)
- 3/4 Cup Finely Chopped Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Onions (Optional)
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt, as required
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- Peel the ridge gourd and cut into 1" cubes.
- In a wok or Kadai, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they crackle.
- Add the cumin seeds and stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Add the onion and fry till transparent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till the pieces are stewed.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, and salt.
- Add the ridge gourd pieces and mix well.
- Cook on low flame till the ridge gourd pieces soften a bit and become translucent.
- Add some water and mix well to form a thick stew like consistency.
- Add the Methi Muthia and mix well.
- Serve hot with rotis.