I love yogurt and yogurt based dishes as can be seen from my recipes for Balaee and Moong Dal Palak Khichdi cooked in buttermilk. So I am always on the lookout for new yogurt-based recipes. This week, when I was looking up Udupi recipes, I came across a whole host of yogurt-based recipes. So, here I am with the recipe for Hasi Sasive.
Also called Paji Sasmi, this dish involves no cooking (if you discount the tempering) and gets done in under 10 minutes.
All you need to do is grind Mangalore Cucumber pieces with mustard, coconut, and red chillies, and then mix it in sour yogurt. Finally just temper it with mustard seeds, curry leaves, and red chillies, and voila! the refreshing Hasi Sasive is ready.
What I loved about this dish is that while the yogurt was the cooling element, there was a hit of heat from two sources: the mustard and the chilli. The combination is just irresistible.
How to Make Hasi Sasive | Paji Sasmi: Mangalore Cucumber in Seasoned Yogurt
This is the recipe for a cool and refreshing Hasi Sasive, which is also known as Paji Sasmi. This is a virtual no-cook recipe that can be thought of as a mustard-flavoured Mangalore Cucumber Raita.
- 2 Cups Chopped Mangalore Cucumber
- 1 Cup Sour Yogurt
- 1/2 Cup Grated Coconut
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2-3 Red Chillies
- Salt to Taste
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1-2 Red Chillies
- A Few Curry Leaves
Grind the cucumber, mustard, red chillies and coconut to a coarse paste.
Add the paste to the yogurt. Mix well.
Add salt and mix well.
In a ladle, heat the oil.
Add mustard seeds and wait till they crackle.
Add split red chillies and curry leaves.
Add the tempering to the Hasi Sasive | Paji Saswe.
Step-by-Step Recipe to Make Hasi Sasive | Paji Sasmi: Mangalore Cucumber in Seasoned Yogurt
- Add the mangalore cucumber, mustard, coconut, and red chillies to the chutney jar of the grinder.
- Grind the ingredients to a coarse paste. Do not make a fine paste of it.
- Mix the ground cucumber paste and salt into the yogurt.
- In a ladle, heat the oil and add mustard seeds.
- After the mustard seeds splutter, add split red chillies and curry leaves.
- Stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Add the tempering to the Hasi Sasive | Paji Sasmi.