Cabbage Kura is pretty much the same as Muttaikose Poriyal/Thoran of Tamil Nadu and Kerala with the exception that we do not use coconut in Andhra Pradesh. I absolutely love this light Cabbage Sabzi with some Pappu Pulusu and Annam (Andhra Sambar and Rice) or the Tomato Pappu and Annam (Andhra Style Tomato Dal and Rice).
For some reason, I have not posted the recipe for this super simple Andhra Cabbage Kura earlier. Don’t ask me why because I have posted the Cabbage Thoran | Muttaikose Poriyal recipe as far back as 2012. Anyway, as they say, better late than never and here I am with this recipe.
Paired with rotis/rice and Moong Dal Palak, this cabbage curry makes for a healthy, low calorie meal.
Also try my recipes for Cabbage Senaga Pappu Kura (Cabbage and Chana Dal Curry) and Cabbage Ava Pettina Kura (Andhra Style Cabbage Curry flavoured with a Mustard Paste).
Recipe for Cabbage Kura | Andhra Style Cabbage Curry
Cabbage Kura | Andhra Style Cabbage Curry
- 1/2 kg Cabbage (See Notes)
- 1 tsp Udad Dal, Minapa Pappu
- 1/2 tsp Rai, Mustard Seeds, Avalu
- 3-4 Slit Green Chillies
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1/4 Cup Water
- Salt to Taste
- Cut the cabbage into 1/2″ pieces. If you cut the cabbage too fine, it will become limp after cooking.
- In a kadhai, over medium flame, heat the oil.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add udad dal and let it fry till golden brown.
- Add the slit green chillies and curry leaves.
- Stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped cabbage and mix well.
- Add 1/4 cup water and salt.
- Cover and let the cabbage cook for about 10 mins. Stir at every 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the cover and stir-fry over high heat till any left over water evapourates. The cabbage is cooked when it is crisp but translucent.
Leave a Reply