Cucumber Raita is my go-to dish to accompany Pulao of any kind. In summers especially, I love to serve it chilled and the cooling effect this dish has can only be experienced and not explained.
A raita is essentially yogurt mixed with a raw vegetable or fruit. Served at room temperature or then chilled as an accompaniment to a spicy biryani, pulao, or paratha, the cool and mellow raita is the perfect foil for the warm and spicy flavours of a biryani or stuffed paratha.
Perhaps the most popular variation of this dish is the Cucumber Raita (also called Kheera Raita in North India and Kakdi Raita in Maharashtra). Super simple to make, with no cooking, you can make a Cucumber Raita in less than 10 minutes, and that in itself can be a blessing on a busy day. Chop and mix; it really cannot get easier than that!
Why I Prefer to Chop Cucumber?
To make this dish with finely chopped or grated cucumber. I prefer to use finely chopped pieces because a lot of water tends to ooze out from grated cucumber, and that tends to make the raita a bit watery. You could squeeze out some liquid from the grated cucumber, but then you will lose some of the nutrition too.
How to Make Variations of Cucumber Raita
- Use black salt or kala namak in place of regular salt.
- Add roasted cumin powder and/or chilli powder to add yet another layer of flavour.
- Add a mustard seed tempering as we do in South India.
Other Raita Recipes You Can Try
Other Cucumber-based Recipes You Can Try
- Tzatziki: Greek Yogurt and Cucumber Dip
- Taushe Bhakri | Cucumber Bhakri | Cucumber Rotti
- Kakdichi Tavsali | Tausali: An Eggless Steamed Cucumber Cake from Goa
- Easy Chilled or Cold Cucumber Soup
- Khamang Kakdi | Cucumber Salad from Maharashtra
How to Make Cucumber Raita | Kakdi Raita | Kheera Raita
- If needed, mix 1/2 cup yogurt with a gentle hand till smooth. If you whisk the yogurt too much, it will release the whey in it, and you will make it watery.
- Mix together the yogurt, 1/2 cup finely chopped cucumber, 1/2 tsp finely chopped green chilli, 1 pinch of sugar, and salt to taste.
- Add 1 tsp of finely chopped coriander and mix well.
- Serve the Cucumber Raita as a side to any Biryani, Pulao or stuffed paratha.
Recipe for Cucumber Raita | Kakdi Raita | Kheera Raita
Cucumber Raita | Kakdi Raita | Kheera Raita
- 1 Cup Finely Chopped Cucumber (150 gms)
- 1 Cup Dahi or Yogurt (250 gms)
- 1 tsp Finely Chopped Chilli
- 1 tbsp Finely Chopped Fresh Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder (Optional, I did not use)
- 1 Pinch Sugar
- Salt to Taste
- If needed, mix 1 cup yogurt with a gentle hand till smooth. If you whisk the yogurt too much, it will release the whey in it, and you will make it watery.
- Mix together the yogurt, 1 cup finely chopped cucumber, 1 tsp finely chopped green chilli, 1 pinch of sugar, and salt to taste.
- Add 1 tbsp of finely chopped coriander and mix well.
- Serve the Cucumber Raita as a side to any Biryani or Pulao.
Leave a Reply