Given how often we have Idli and Dosa for breakfast, it can get quite boring very fast. To alleviate this boredom, I try different chutneys and podis as accompaniment.
The Coconut Coriander Chutney is a simple variation of the traditional Coconut Chutney. Called Kothimira Kobbari Pachadi in Andhra Pradesh and Kothimalli Thengai Thogayal in Tamil Nadu, this chutney gets done in a jiffy and is absolutely delicious.
How to Make Kothimira Kobbari Pachadi | Kothamalli Thengai Thogayal | Coconut Coriander Chutney
Time: 7-10 Minues
- Grated Coconut – 1/3 Cup
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 1/3 Cup (Packed)
- Ginger – 1/4″ piece
- Green Chillies – 3 or 4
- Roasted and Peeled Peanuts – 6 to 8
Roasted Bengal Gram/Gulla Senaga Pappu/Pottu Kadalai/Bhuna Chana – 1 tbsp
- Udad Dal – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – A Few
- Salt to Taste
- Grind coconut, coriander, ginger, green chillies, roasted peanuts/bhuna chana and salt with a little water to form a thick and creamy paste.
- In a ladle, heat the oil.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the udad dal and fry till golden brown.
- Add curry leaves and stir-fry for 10 seconds.
- Add to the tempering to the coconut-coriander chutney.
- Mix well.
- Serve Kothimira Kobbari Pachadi | Kothamalli Thengai Thogayal | Coconut Coriander Chutney with idli, dosa, or dhokla.
- We add bhuna dal or peanuts to the Kothimira Kobbari Pachadi | Kothamalli Thengai Thogayal | Coconut Coriander Chutney to give it a creamy texture. Without these the chutney tends to be grainy because neither coconut nor coriander will ever grind to a smooth creamy paste.
Need more accompaniments for Idli or Dosa? Try these recipes!
- Nalla Kharam – Spicy Podi for Idli, Dosa or Rice!
- Kobbari Putnala Pappu Pachadi (Hotel Style Coconut Chutney)
- Senaga Pindi Pachadi for Idli
- Senaga Pindi Pachadi for Dosa
- Tomato Ullipaya Pachadi or Tomato and Onion Chutney for Idli and Dosa
- Verusenaga Pachadi, Andhra Peanut or Groundnut Chutney
- Hinga Chutney | Coconut Asafoetida Chutney