This weekend we had the classic combination of Majjiga Pulusu and Patholi for lunch. Here is the recipe for Majjiga Pulusu. Majjiga Pulusu (Andhra Kadhi/Buttermilk Stew) is one of those simple and easy to make dishes that is a staple in all Andhra households.
I have two variations of the basic Majjiga Pulusu that I make; one with coconut and one without. This is the variation with the coconut.
You can make it with a mix of vegetables (bendakaya/bhindi/okra, vankaya/baingan/aubergines, mullakaada/shenga/drumstick, anapakaya/lauki/bottle gourd) or then with greens.
- Curd – 1.5 Cups
- Water – 1 Cup
- Mixed Vegetables – 1 Cup (okra, bottle gourd, aubergine, drumstick and similar vegetables. They should be cut into 1″ pieces)
- Grated Coconut – 2 tbsp
- Green Chillies – 2 or 3
- Red Chillies – 2
- Turmeric – A Big Pinch
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves – A Few
- Salt to Taste
- Grind the grated coconut and green chillies into a smooth paste.
- Blend the curd and water together to get a smooth buttermilk.
- Blend the coconut paste, turmeric, and salt into the buttermilk.
- Ensure there are no lumps.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the cumin seeds and fry for about 10 seconds.
- Add the split red chillies and curry leaves.
- Fry for about 5 seconds.
- Add the vegetables.
- Fry for 5-7 minutes.
- Add enough water to cover the vegetables.
- Cook covered till the vegetables are done.
- Stir occasionally and add more water, if required.
- When the vegetables are cooked, turn the heat down to low-medium.
- Slowly add in the buttermilk mix to the cooked vegetables.
- Mix well.
- For 5 to 7 minutes, cook over low-medium heat while stirring at regular intervals.
- Turn off the heat. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice.
- If the pulusu looks a bit pale in the beginning, do not add more turmeric. The colour of the turmeric kicks in only after the majjiga pulusu comes to a boil.
- The reason I do not add the turmeric to any paste while grinding it is because cleaning the blender/mixer is a pain. 🙂
- You could also pressure cook the vegetables and add it to the kadi. In this case, omit steps 10 to 15. Just add the vegetables to the buttermilk mix.
- Majjiga Pulusu – 2 (Buttermilk Stew/Andhra Kadhi) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Menthi Majjiga (Spiced Buttermilk with Fenugreek Seeds) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Masala Chaas (Spicy Buttermilk) (aahaaramonline.com)