As I write this recipe for Mango Sheera, I am smiling. Till recently, Sheera was very sacred and the only versions I would accept are plain Sheera, Rava Kesari and Sapata or Banana Sheera as made for Satyanarayana Pooja. However, having started this blog I am exploring other variations like Apple Cinnamon Sheera, Coconut Sheera with Candied Lemon Peel, and Pineapple Kesari. 🙂
Yesterday, I was making Eggless Mango Cheesecake and I had some Mango Pulp left over. I decided on the spot to experiment and make some Mango Sheera. It turned out to be quite delicious and quite a hit with Mango-crazy family.
How to Make Mango Sheera or Amba Sheera
Mango Sheera or Aam ka Suji Halwa
- 3/4 Cup Rava or Semolina
- 3/4 Cup Mango Pulp
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 3 Cups Water
- 1/3 cup Ghee
- 10 to 12 Cashew Nuts
- 6 to 8 Saffron Yellow Food Colour
- Boil the water.
- Add the sugar to it.
- Simmer till the sugar melts.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the saffron yellow food colour.
- Set aside.
- In a kadai or a heavy-bottomed vessel, heat the ghee.
- Split the cashew pieces and add to the ghee.
- Fry till light brown.
- Add the rava and stir-fry for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low.
- Add the hot sugar water.
- Mix well to ensure there are no lumps.
- Turn the heat up to medium.
- Cook till the water is absorbed.
- Add the Mango Pulp.
- Mix well.
- Serve warm.