This Pumpkin and Black-Eyed Peas Soup has been a staple in my home for as long as I remember. I make it often for lunch as it is very filling and healthy to boot as it does not use any oil. Another great thing about this soup is that it hardly needs any seasoning beyond some salt and pepper.
This past month has been filled with days of good food because of Vinayaka Chaviti and extended celebrations for my father’s 80th birthday. I am trying to show some restraint and get back to healthy eating, and so made this soup a couple of days ago to supplement my other go-to diet dishes including Koshambir, Khamang Kakdi, Thotakura Vepudu, Chickpea Salad and Lablabi.
Soaking Time: 8 to 10 Hours
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
- Black-eyed Peas – 1/3 Cup
- Red Pumpkin – 400 gms
- Salt to Taste
- Black Pepper Powder to Taste
Method to Make the Pumpkin and Black-Eyed Peas Soup
- Soak the black-eyed peas in 1 cup water for at least 8 to 10 hours.
- After the black-eyed peas are soaked, drain the water.
- Pressure cook the black-eyed peas till they are soft.
- Peel and deseed the pumpkin.
- Cut the pumpkin into chunks.
- Steam or boil the pumpkin till it is just soft.
- Blend the pumpkin and cooked black-eyed peas together into a smooth puree.
- Add enough water to make a thick soup.
- Bring the soup to a boil.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Serve hot!