I love instant pickles because then I do not have to wait for the pickling. Today I present a super simple instant mango pickle from North India called Kacche Aam ka Hing Wala Achar.
There are four reasons why I instantly loved this Kacche Aam ka Hingwala Achar:
- Well, the first is obvious; the start ingredient is raw mango.
- Then the flavour of hing or asafoetida, a spice that I absolutely love.
- As a bonus, it is a no-oil pickle.
- It is an instant pickle, so there is no waiting involved to enjoy it.
I am sure you will absolutely enjoy this instant Hing Wala Aam ka Achar.
Tips to Make the Perfect Kacche Aam ka Hingwala Achar
While I feel silly giving you tips for such a simple instant pickle, here are still some that may help:
- When choosing mango, choose the one that is dark green and firm. These mangoes tend to be properly tangy which is much needed for this pickle. If you choose totapuri mangoes or ones that are a bit soft, this mango pickle won’t taste good.
- Do not stint of the asafoetida or hing as it is THE dominant flavouring agent.
- The Hing Wala Aam ka Achar may seem dry at first, but if you let it rest for about 10 minutes, the juices released by the mango pieces will make it moist.
- Refrigerate the pickle to make it last. Because it is such a simple pickle, I make a fresh batch every time I want to enjoy it.
More Instant Mango Pickles
In summer, we make so many pickles at home but for even the first taste I have to wait at least 2 weeks; and that is sheer torture. 🙁 So I am a great fan of instant mango pickles like:
If you like the flavour of hing, try my recipe for Hinga Chutney | Coconut and Asafoetida Chutney.
More Mango Pickles
Of course, instant pickles offer instant gratification but there is something magical about these Andhra mango pickles:
Before I forget: Thank you Balasaheb Ardhapurkar-ji for recommending this Hingwala Aam ka Achar to me. 🙂 I first posted this recipe in 2018 and am updating it now.
How to Make Aam ka Hing Wala Achar | Instant, No Oil Mango and Asafoetida Pickle
- Choose a medium-sized, green and firm raw mango. The mango I chose was 150 gms in weight.
- Peel the mango and cut it into long and slightly thick pieces. I cut them into 1″ long pieces about 1/2″ thick. After I peeled and cut the mango, I got 2/3 cup of pieces that weighed about 135 gms.
- To a bowl, add the mango pieces, 1/2 tsp red chill powder, 2 large pinches of turmeric, 1/4 tsp of asafoetida, and salt.
- Mix everything well and set aside for 15 to 30 minutes. At this point,the pickle may seem dry. It will become moist after 10 minutes.
- Store in an air-tight jar. If all ingredients were bone dry, this pickle lasts some weeks. You can always refrigerate the pickle to be on the safe side.
Recipe for Kacche Aam ka Hing Wala Achar | Instant, No Oil Mango and Asafoetida Pickle
Aam ka Hing Wala Achar | Instant No Oil Mango and Asafoetida Pickle
- 1 Large Raw Mango, Kairi, Kaccha Aam (~135 gms after chopping, 2/3 cup of pieces)
- 2 Pinches Turmeric, Haldi
- 1/2 tsp Lal Mirch, Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida, Hing
- Salt to Taste
- Peel and chop 1 medium-sized mango into wedges about 1/2" thick and 2" long. The mango should be dark green and firm.
- In a bowl, mix together the 2/3 cup mango pieces, 1/2 tsp red chill powder, 2 large pinches of turmeric, 1/2 tsp asafoetida, and salt.
- Cover and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Serve as a side to Dal Rice or Curd Rice.