Well, this Grated Carrot Curry is midway between a salad and a curry. I like it for its simplicity and the fact that it is so very easy to make. For me easy-to-make is a must on weekdays, as I often have to cook and leave for work!
I also love this curry because it is very light on the stomach and so is ideal on a hot summer day when you don’t want to eat too much or then when you are on a diet! 🙂
I have this Carrot Turumu Talimpu with rotis or just by itself as a salad.
How to Make Grated Carrot Curry
- 3 Cups Grated Carrot
- 1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Tomato
- 4 Chopped Green Chillies
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Udad Dal
- A Few Curry Leaves
- To Taste Salt
- Heat the oil.
- Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add udad dal and stir-fry till the dal turns light golden brown.
- Add the green chillies and curry leaves.
- Stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Add the tomato pieces.
- Cook over low-medium flame till the tomato pieces are stewed.
- Add turmeric, salt and sugar.
- Mix well and wait for the sugar to dissolve.
- Add the grated carrot and mix well.
- Turn the heat to low and cook covered for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Mix well and turn off the heat.
- Serve hot with Rotis.
- Do not over cook the carrot. All you need is for the carrot to just soften a touch.
- This curry has a crunch to it.